The Most Addictive Little NGPC Game You Have Never Played...

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
Faselei? No. Magical Drop Pocket? Wrong again. I am speaking of Neo Turf Masters, for the NGPC (and coming from a sports game hater like myself, that is saying a lot).

I like unlicensed sports games, from the days when they relied on creativity, character design, and GAMEPLAY, instead of slapping an official sports team logo on a badly designed polygonal model and depending on drooling sports fans to buy the game despite the fact that it sucked. When I bought Neo Turf Masters, I was not expecting very much. I did not bother reading the manual, I just plugged it in and started playing. The controls were easy to figure out, and the different characters have different strengths (putting, driving, etc.).

For the first few minutes I thought it was a bit boring, then I finally sunk that putt on the hole, and figured I would try the next. Before long, three hours had passed. I play real golf Happy Gilmore style (send it to the green in one slamming drive, then spend forever trying to putt the sucker in) but I spent so much time on this game, I may trade in my black jeans for some plaid knee-pants and a goofy hat with a pom-pom on top. O.K., not really, but it makes me appreciate golf a bit more. A truly fun title, even if you are not a sports game junkie.

-BioMotor_Unitron

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
I Totally agree with you on that, Biomotor!
I'm not sure if Turf masters is my fav' NGPC game, but it sure is one of the most played. I didn't even want to buy it, but a guy called Derek in my local E.B went on and on about how wonderful it was, until I got a copy. What a little cracker! Got another for the Mrs soon after. TWO PLAYER IS ACE!!!! you get awarded 'Clubs of legend' as rewards for winning. She cant beat me either, which is even better. Have you seen what the audience do when you get a hole in one? CLUE; I'm not using my normal message icon?

D

DigiPunk

Biomotor issued this ephipany:

"I like unlicensed sports games, from the days when they relied on creativity, character design, and GAMEPLAY, instead of slapping an official sports team logo on a badly designed polygonal model and depending on drooling sports fans to buy the game despite the fact that it sucked"

Amen to that, brother. Just as fun are the "Pseudo-sport" games. Bill Laimbeer's combat basketball, archrivals, and games of it's ilk also come to mind.

------------------
Look for me in PSO as Flank or Gondamin.
25.gif

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DigiPunk:
Biomotor issued this ephipany:

"I like unlicensed sports games, from the days when they relied on creativity, character design, and GAMEPLAY, instead of slapping an official sports team logo on a badly designed polygonal model and depending on drooling sports fans to buy the game despite the fact that it sucked"

Amen to that, brother. Just as fun are the "Pseudo-sport" games. Bill Laimbeer's combat basketball, archrivals, and games of it's ilk also come to mind.

Pseudo-sports games can be great fun, too, I agree. I used to spend a lot of time on NBA Jam and NBA Jam: TE at the arcades. A photo of a friend and I playing NBA Jam: TE actually wound up in the local paper (it must have been a slow news day).
wink.gif
That game is about as close as I can get to licensed sports games (actually, it DID have a license, but they did not try to make it play like REAL basketball).

-BioMotor_Unitron

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
By far Neo Turf Masters for me. I havent played it in a while, but when I did I never got off of it. I have never tried the link up, how exactly does it work? It makes it full 2 players right? After NTM, I was quite addicted to Magical Drop. When I'm not home playing those 2 games on MVS, I'm playing them on the go...

------------------
ntm.jpg

N-T-M

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
Yes, Magical Drop Pocket is definitely another under-appreciated title on the NGPC. Glad I picked that one up in hardcase version when it was still somewhat common. I think I am at twenty-seven hardcase games right now, and three crapboard boxes (those are just ones I do not have a hardcase version of, I actually have more cardboard box versions of some of my hardcase games I need to get rid of).

-BioMotor_Unitron