Neo Poke Kun & Cotton?

mliu92

n00b
Anyone tried Neo Poke Kun? Based on the descriptions I've read it sounds interesting - a bunch of little puzzley-games - but just wondering whether or not it's worth the dough. Also, any opinions on Cotton (I'd love a Darius Pocket, but that's not going to happen ...) would be welcome too ...

------------------
Cheers - Mike

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
Buy them both!
Cotton is great, Its not a Nemesis or R-Type, it's more simple, Shoot and Bomb, a bit like scramble. But the graphics are excellent, and its very playable. If a little short.. Ganbare Neo Poke-Kun, on the other hand is without a doubt one of the best games on the NGPC! Ganbare is a little chap who lives in your NGPC and works on its circuit-boards. Its up to you to keep him happy, and if you do, he will reward you with sub games in the form of single level games, based on 70's and 80's classic arcade games. These are everything from Street fighter to Shinobi, Galaxian to Star Wars Arcade, Pong to Pool. It is an absolute wonder of a game quirky and original. A must have! A game that would have been a top title on the SNES or Mega Drive/Genesis. Dont delay, buy them both, and if you have any money left over, buy Rockman Battles too!!!!!

mliu92

n00b
Thanks!

I was worried about the Japanese level in Ganbare Neo Poke-Kun but so long as it isn't too insane I think I'll be okay. Now, if NCSX still has stock ...

*kicks self* shouldn't have waited so long ...

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
Ganbare is Insane, thats why the language isn't too much of a barrier. You may find yourself wondering how to play some of the games (pool with severed heads, had me wondering) But if you get stuck, try the solution on the www.gamewinners.com site!

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
I recommend Cotton as well...

...good music/control/level-up system/design...don't think, buy it...

td741

, NOTE: Please add 16 points to his feedback., --
Cotton: Great shooter with in-game cinemas. It's almost exactly the same as the PCE SCD version except without the CD soundtrack and it seems easier.

Ganbare Neo Poke'Un: Really fun. The subgames are great and not difficult to figure out actually. There is very little Japanese text and not much of it is needed to be understood.

**********SPOILER**********
The mini-game with the most Japanese text is the "love-sim" one but it's essentially a strange paper-rock-scisors and then guessing which direction the looser's head goes. And then there's a bunch of text in the robot game "V-Off".

I've only got to finish "VOff" to get all crowns. :p

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I don't really understand Neo Poke Kun - it's not very intuitive. But it lookds good.

zorro

Galford's Poppy Trainer
on ebay it went for about 40 just for the japanese version w/o shipping. Damn was that you. And to think mike whatever backed out of my deal

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
you can still find the Jpn version of cotton and NPK for a decent price at online import stores in the US.

Blaine

Hinako's Cook
I wrote a review for Neo Poke Kun a while ago but it's never been posted.

I tried so hard to like that game but it just defies me at every turn. The whole thing with him only working when he's happy and what makes him happy is random (press A and hope for the best) means that I played that damned game for about 2 days and unlocked the first page of games, then over the course of a month, played daily, I barely unlocked two games on the second page. I've had it forever and I'm not even done with the second page of games.

I mean, if it was more like a tamagotchi or Seaman where you can feed him or pet him or somethign to make him happy it'd be a great game.

The mini-games rule an exceptionally high way, don't get me wrong, but I'm just sitting here pressing "A" like a fucking moron for hours on end and he'll go to work maybe twice.

It's not like there's enough variety of visitors to make it worth while to sit there and watch forever, you know?

God I want to love that game. I really really want to, but it just doesn't want me to like it.

That being said if anyone knows of a good way to unlock the mini-games I'm all ears.

td741

How I play it. :)

Well, first of all see what he does. If he seems happy, then I coax him with the "letter box" thing. (Don't persist.)

If he's unhappy then get a visitor. If he's walking around/bored try the "down" or "letter box" commands as well as visitors. Try and let him do what he's doing when he's happy.

Also, it seems like finishing the mini-games improves his mood. Possibly if you get a special finish (plum, bamboo or other one I forgot.) improves it even more.

Play during the day and not at night when he's trying to sleep although it's good to play at night once to see the different things. (Different visitors and things happen at all hours.)

Of course, maybe it's just teh Zen of it. :p The actual thing wit the visitors isn't the best part. The best part is to slowly discover the new mini games and playing them through. :)

Blaine

Hinako's Cook
Originally posted by td741:
<strong>The best part is to slowly discover the new mini games and playing them through. :) </strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree whole heartedly, I'm just saying that it's really not worth it, for me, to sit there pissed and frustrated for hours on end for another game.

If I had more direct control, like...give him some candy, then I'd be a little more into it.

But as is, I'll try your advice, it's totally random and saving and then turning off the game if it's not a 'good' visitor isn't my idea of fun.

Like I said...I realllllly want to like it. A lot.

td741

I don't bother saving and leaving when it's a bad visitor myself.

I tend to see the letter box (err.. MAIL slot..) command seems to get him out and working more. How far are you on the mini games? Did you complete them all or most of them?

It didn't seem to take me long to unlock the games. I had it all within a week AFAIR. Mind you I might have been madly playing it. ;)

--
Steph

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I'll buy Neo Poke Kun off anyone who's willing to sell for $30 shipped within the US.

Blaine

Hinako's Cook
<strong>I don't bother saving and leaving when it's a bad visitor myself.
<hr></blockquote></strong>

*shrug* when all you can grasp at is straws, you grasp at straws.

I'm just trying like hell to get him to work.

<strong>I tend to see the letter box (err.. MAIL slot..) command seems to get him out and working more. How far are you on the mini games? Did you complete them all or most of them?<hr></blockquote></strong>

I've unlocked up to the galaxian type game (one immediately after the second Ninja game...with the cars?).

I've completed all of them, I have some plum flowers, some bamboo, some pine.

<strong>It didn't seem to take me long to unlock the games. I had it all within a week AFAIR. Mind you I might have been madly playing it. ;) <hr></blockquote></strong>

I got it in the winter, I think. I played it like it was my job and I was scared to get fired.

Like I said, the first page flew and then as soon as I hit the first ninja game...it's been dragging since. It took almost a month to get to where I am (if you add all the days I played together). It's awfully hard to keep at it when you don't get anything out of it, you know?

Still I want the mini-games and I'll keep at it.

td741

Strange, maybe it's your Neo Pocket's random number generator that's annoying you?

What does he do most of the time?

I just can't see why it would take you that long to get you some mini games.

--
Steph

Blaine

Hinako's Cook
The usual, nothing special.

I tried using the hand through the mail slot and it seems to help a little. I finally finished off the second page and the first game of the third (boy is that parachute game hard! damn.).

td741

Okay... Hopefully the mail slot thing will speed things along. :) I just don't know what I really did that was special.

The Parachute game's fairly simple though. Once I noticed the radar screen it was pretty easy. I just wait 'til I see the ground before I open the chute. The ennemies come in patterns so you just have to figure out where to place yourself. It's strange that you can't control yourself well when the parachute's deployed.

The games do get better. :) I know the first page of games were okay, but I thought: "I hope they're not all like this". :)

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
Well sometimes you just have t put the machine on and let him do his things for a while don't press a all the time oh and when he goes to work....keep him working by pressing A or B I don't remeber I once had him working for 15 minutes and almost ulocked an entire page I got all my games within a week

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
Cotton is a great game, by the way.
Fun and funny! A bit short, though...
Typical for a shooter, I guess...
Makes me wanna get Cotton Boomerang for the Sega Saturn.

Last edited: