I bought a boot from a REAL store

Ibows

n00b
I was in a local gamestop-esq store the other day when i bought Metal Slug MVS for 65 bucks. I don't know anything about boots, but after a minute of internet research i clearly had just bought a boot.

Now i want to cause a stink and try to get my money back (in other words ask nicely) or should i just considered myself boned? Can a store legally even sell something like that?

loegan43

I've served my time in the Dark Army., Have you?,
15 Year Member
Just politely return it.

Would be my first option too. It's a retail store, so unless they specifically told you at the time of purchase "no refunds or exchanges" I'd think you wouldn't have any problem just returning it. Then, after you get your money back, and if you are so inclined you could tell them that the carts a boot.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
I was in a local gamestop-esq store the other day when i bought Metal Slug MVS for 65 bucks. I don't know anything about boots, but after a minute of internet research i clearly had just bought a boot.

Now i want to cause a stink and try to get my money back (in other words ask nicely) or should i just considered myself boned? Can a store legally even sell something like that?

it's possible the store didn't realize it was a boot, they may not have taken the time to reference it, and maybe don't see NEO games often enough to look into it.

I have a used book store here, really cool place, they had mvs metal slug x ($50) and Pulstar ($100) loose carts on the shelves forever. One Day after getting my cmvs, i decide to pick up the slug, got home, popped it in, and low and behold an amazingly poor version of Samurai Shodown 1 with some sweet graphical and sound glitches starts playing. The store has a 7 day return policy no problem, I asked my wife to return cuz I was busy with work, went back a week later and the pulstar wasn't there either.

This is a really cool store, and I don't think they would've sold that slug/shodown cart if they had known, I think they just didn't have any means of testing it when it was brought in for trade. Positive note, I just recently picked up a kof 2k with shockbox and great label from the same store, no boot, and works great.

Ibows, don't consider yourself boned, if you are not happy with it, you should return it, if it plays and looks ok, it might be ok to keep, but I think you could probably find a legit version from a member here for a little more than half the price you paid.

good luck buddy.

Last edited:

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
it's possible the store didn't realize it was a boot, they may not have taken the time to reference it, and maybe don't see NEO games often enough to look into it.

I have a used book store here, really cool place, they had mvs metal slug x ($50) and Pulstar ($100) loose carts on the shelves forever. One Day after getting my cmvs, i decide to pick up the slug, got home, popped it in, and low and behold an amazingly poor version of Samurai Shodown 1 with some sweet graphical and sound glitches starts playing. The store has a 7 day return policy no problem, I asked my wife to return cuz I was busy with work, went back a week later and the pulstar wasn't there either.

This is a really cool store, and I don't think they would've knowingly sold that slug/shodown cart if they had known, I think they just didn't have any means of testing it when it was brought in for trade. Positive note, I just recently picked up a kof 2k with shockbox and great label from the same store, no boot, and works great.

Ibows, don't consider yourself boned, if you are not happy with it, you should return it, if it plays and looks ok, it might be ok to keep, but I think you could probably find a legit version from a member here for a little more than half the price you paid.

good luck buddy.

+1. If it was only $20 then I guess it wouldn't matter so much. But $65 I'd get a refund.

dan3skate

Quiz Detective
If I had to guess I would say hes talking about one of the Just Press Play stores... I don't think play and trade would deal in neo stuff..

Ibows

n00b
yes just press play in lancaster. I got all amped because i had got my MVS-1 out of storage and the next day went to just press play to the first time and low and behold neo geo games.

Sixth

Sakura's Bank Manager
Any price that exceeds the cost of parts is too much for a boot’; get a refund.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I'd also refuse to pay $65 for a copy of Metal Slug, it can be had for less.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
More likely than not, the people working there didn't know when they took it in on trade. I've seen this happen many times at Gamestops and EBs where the staff took in fake GB and GBA games because they wouldn't know fake from legit. I'm sure you'll get your refund, especially if it's a chain store.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
I'd also refuse to pay $65 for a copy of Metal Slug, it can be had for less.

I completely agree, however sometimes there is a slight thrill in being able to buy something you like, right in front of you, right then, as opposed to checking online, and waiting for shipping. at least there is for me.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Any price that exceeds the cost of parts is too much for a boot’; get a refund.

+1

Ask nicely. Be ready to educate. Don't take no for an answer. And don't be afraid to talk to the boss--store clerks D.N.S. (Don't Know Shit).

At least you deserve a partial refund, cause it was not what you wanted. And at most, you deserve a full refund.

Boot carts can not be sold on eBay. And boot carts can not be sold in gaming forums unless these are clearly labeled as such.

Last edited:

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
I've only bought MVS from people in person a couple times. I asked to examine the merchandise on both accounts. I had a screwdriver and a print out of boards on hand. Needless to say, I got weird looks.

Tell them it's a boot and bring a print out of the proper board layout, just in case they deny it's a boot. If they won't do a refund, politely ask to talk to a manager,you should at least get store credit.

Last edited:

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
I've only bought MVS from people in person a couple times. I asked to examine the merchandise on both acocunts. I had a screwdriver and a print out of boards on hand. Needless to say, I got weird looks.

totally awesome.

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
I've only bought MVS from people in person a couple times. I asked to examine the merchandise on both acocunts. I had a screwdriver and a print out of boards on hand. Needless to say, I got weird looks.

Tell them it's a boot and bring a print out of the proper board layout, just in case they deny it's a boot. If they won't do a refund, politely ask to talk to a manager,you should at least get store credit.

A lot of ignorant people would be like "it's just a game. It works. What's the big deal?"

I had this response one time when I asked for pictures of the MVS cart PCBs to confirm authenticity

Neogeomaniac67

New Challenger
I've dealt with the owner of those stores(Just press play in Lancaster), and he seems like a good guy. He is knowledgable when it comes to Neo Geo and i'm almost positive he would refund your money. He doesn't seem like the type of guy that would sell a boot intentionally, at least from the dealings I've had with him.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I've only bought MVS from people in person a couple times. I asked to examine the merchandise on both accounts. I had a screwdriver and a print out of boards on hand. Needless to say, I got weird looks.

A look through the vents is enough to satisfy me. 98% of the time a boot will be obvious with a glance under light.

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member

Funny looks should hopefully be the least of the worries. Hate to have others be ignorant of sources like hardmvs and just ignore your attempts to get a legit product on more than their word.

Ibows

n00b
They gave me a refund. Looked surprised when i said i opened it. Then he checked the board scans himself and said "....Oh". Im glad i thought it was going to be a hassle.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
They gave me a refund. Looked surprised when i said i opened it. Then he checked the board scans himself and said "....Oh". Im glad i thought it was going to be a hassle.

been meaning to ask you if you got the refund. thx for the update. my feeling on boots, as long as they play ok and were reasonably priced I'm usually ok with them.

Last edited: