Capcom CPS3 Street Fighter 3: New Generation set up issues

Moanin_Ronin

New Challenger
I have another CPS3 set up and I recently picked up the SF3NG set up and after connecting everything once it powers up all that is displayed is a screen full of "squiggly lines", as I've not experienced this with my past set up did I set this one up incorrectly or does this mean the cart is dead? I've not had a dead cart before so I don't know what to expect.

Artemio

NEST Puppet
This is the boot up screen of a dead CPS-III cart:

3498oxj.jpg

Hope that is not the case.

(Image taken from arcade otaku)

Moanin_Ronin

New Challenger
thanks for the reply, here's an image of what I'm experiencing (I should've included it in my original post):
cps3.jpg

As it differs from your image, I'm guardedly hopeful that I'll be able to fix this with help from here. BTW the faint curving lines seen in the center of the image are my hands holding the camera reflecting off the cab's glass.

Last edited:

KaPH33n

Sieger's Squire
Does the game respond other than the picture? Is there audio? Can you coin up? or does it feel like it's crashed?

Moanin_Ronin

New Challenger
It feels like it crashed as there's no sounds but popping/scratching noises occasionally coming from the speakers and there's no reaction from any buttons, coin ups, test button or volume pot, etc.

Artemio

NEST Puppet
have you tried this cart on your other cps3 setup? Just to check if it is the cart or the board.

Moanin_Ronin

New Challenger
My other CPS3 set up is a cart-only board and the game in question is the CD + cart version, while I also had the same idea that you suggested, I was told the two CPS3 boards are incompatible by a friend so I didn't try it out.

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
Its a dead cart. Trust me. I have like 25 of them...

Artemio

NEST Puppet
I just got a spare board as a gift, and tried my 2nd impact cart on it. It showed exactly that pattern. fearing the worse, I re tested it in one of my other boards, and it worked. So, my point is... it *might* be the board. I got that exact pattern with a bad one just today and a live cart.

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
Yeah it could be the pcb. Try reseating the simms also.

Did you know that some of the CPS3 pcbs came with batteries on them as well? Unknown what the function was but they leak just like the ones in the carts can. If there is one its inside the large roundish white plastic piece.

jepjepjep

King's Dry Cleaner
Man, Capcom sure loved to use those stupid, leaky lithium batteries. CPS Q-sound, CPSII, CPSIII carts, CPSIII mobos. . .