Need wiring advice for controller hacking project.

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
Hi Guys!

I'm wiring up a shifter for racing games (OK, Daytona USA) and I wanna make it universal so that I can use a variety of console controllers (via button hack), as well as a standard PC USB (for which I ordered an MS Sidewinder). The conundrum is that some controllers are common ground and some aren't (what is it called when they're not, btw?), and I want it to work with both.

I have a thread over at BYOAC but getting anybody to reply over there is always a roll of the dice, so I thought I'd ask my fine friends and co-conspirators here at N-G.com to lend me their big brains.

Here's my thread with the details:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=118591.0

I'm in the final stages of building and finishing my controller (besides the obvious issue of wiring) so I'm hoping somebody can help me with this. I'm eager to wrap this thing up.

Thanks a bunch!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
What exactly are you trying to achieve in the end? Use the stick for 2 different things?

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
What exactly are you trying to achieve in the end? Use the stick for 2 different things?

Yes indeedy. 2 or 3 or multiple different things. I'm trying to wire it in a futureproof way, so I can essentially "rewire" the controls by switching around some externally mounted plugs, like an old-time telephone operator.

Last edited:

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
Unless somebody else has a better idea, I'm prolly going to have to wire each of the 4 cherry switches to a speaker terminal plate like this:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-308

That way each cherry switch contact will have its own terminal, and if I wanna do common ground, I'll just wire up a jumper wire, tin all 4 of the ends, and stick one in each of the black terminals, and my 4 button wires in the 4 red ones. It's gonna look a little bit ghetto as hell, but I don't know what else to do.

Anybody?