Bad PGM corrosion. Best way to deal with it?

Warpedflash

Crazed MVS Addict
I recent bought a spare or repairs PGM mobo with sound issues the seller was not experienced enough to fix. I figured it may be a couple of gouged traces or something similar but it looks like the battery that used to be there leaked rather a lot...

A few pics of the board are here.
Top Side
Top Side 2
Underside

What would be the best way to approach this?
I was thinking try and neutralise the area with a baking soda paste, clean it down with rubbing alcohol or something similar then kynar wire each trace back?

Does anyone have a circuit diagram for the lower right side of a PGM motherboard? (some of the traces have come clean off so I cant follow where they would have gone to/from)

Also would it be sensible to replace components? for example the switch located there is nice and greened up (also does not feel like its actually working correctly) along with the side connector's pins being green so with will probably be swapped but components like the chips and capacitors nearby would they need to be swapped out or just cleaned?

Basically any help would be great while I'm decent with a soldering Iron this will be the worst condition board I have actually tried to fix up (normally this like this I use as practise boards)

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
The first thing I would do is neutralise the affected area. The longer it stays like that the worse it will get. I've used a baking soda paste and then cleaned the area with isopropyl alcohol and had good results but I've yet to deal with that level of corrosion so it'll be a lot of work. Nothings impossible though!

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
A lot of those traces are for the expansion port and are not needed. The one I circled is a vital trace and can be jumpered on the backside of
the board. I forgot the exact spot....it's somewhere up on the board by the 3 diodes.

pgmu.jpg

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The expansion port is mostly used for 3P and 4P control signals which is why most of those traces are tied to resistor packs.

As for the sound, it's a common problem with the board. Probably just a recap is needed since it's commonly static.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
The PGM has excellent 4 players games so those open traces for players 3 and 4 are definitely something to deal with

Last edited: