Oddball AES video problem

vidgameman73

Geese's Thug
Wow! Been a while since I been on the forums....

Okay, I have an AES I had Jeff Kurtz BIOS mod for me a few years back, another problem arose, and Ray from !arcade! fixed that for me. What it doing is the main 330 MEGA screen, the top half is missing. Another screen will come up, it's fine. Then, the 3rd screen will pop up and it's horizontally sliced into 3. Never seen anything like this before. Anyone have any ideas? Could the BIOS be bad? I have it apart right now looking for corrosion and bad runs, but nothing seems outta whack. I cleaned all my carts and the contacts AES and still the same problem......

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
What color is the screen with no cart inserted?

vidgameman73

Geese's Thug
It's the standard white. I talked with Jeff Kurtz and he said it may be a video RAM problem. *sigh* Anyone have any ideas on how much it would cost to fix something like this? :)

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Try replacing the video caps. I've seen video issues like this on early serial number systems and replacing the 100uf caps with 220uf or higher ones will fix it.

vidgameman73

Geese's Thug
Hmmm...... I could try that. If anything at all with lack of time I have, I'll prolly just send it out to someone to fix it.

F-zero

n00b
I have a question regarding the resistors used in the neo.
I've just received my first Aes and i love it.
It has a great picture but its a little dark.(early revision with daughter board)
I noticed there are no resistors in the scart cable which is where i'm used to finding them so i looked inside the system.
There are 68ohm resistors coming of the back of 100uf caps which lead to the rgb signals so i bypassed the resistors and ended up with a much better picture, maybe a little bright.
My question is has anyone narrowed down the best ohm's value for the rgb lines as i'm going to swap them out.

F-zero

n00b
Never mind, i had 33ohm resistors laying around and stuck them in.
Looks really good now.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
For straight RGB with a bypass on the 1st gen systems 75ohm is a very good level as it's vivid but not overly bright.

F-zero

n00b
Thanks for the reply, i didn't need the bypass as the picture is really very very good but a little dark.
I swapped out the 68ohm resistors on the rgb lines for 33's and it now looks fantastic.

Is there any benefit to doing the bypass on the first gen neo's?

vidgameman73

Geese's Thug
Sorry I didn't respond right away again. No time....

Does anyone have a recommendation for anyone of these boards who could fix it? Cost isn't an issue, it's just finding someone to do it. And having no time anymore, as I love fixing items like these. :)