Help with building NeoGeo 4 slot machine!

Hello, I'm new here so I'll start off explaining my problem. I've been researching this project for quite a while now and I need a bit clearing up on my understanding through a few questions. I want to build a custom cabinet using a four slot Neo Geo pcb.

1.I have a Neo Geo 4 slot PCB(mv-4). My big concern was the JAMMA harness. I know MVS uses a different setup concerning the harness. However, I made the mistake by ordering a NeoGeoMVS to JAMMA adapter. A waste of a few bucks.

so, to my understanding, All I have to do is wire the harness to the MVS configuration correct? (I have a digram)

2. The power supply for the mv-4, I can't find a proper guide on how to construct one of these exactly but I have seen it is possible to use any ATX power supply. I know it's cheaper than buying a used one coming out of an actual Neo Geo cab, but should I go the extra mile and buy the actual Neo Geo cab one? or will any 250watt ATX power supply suffice.

3. Molex connectors, I know where to get them as well as affixing them to the wires, however, how do I know how many I need, the sizes, and number of pin holes on them? is there a chart somewhere, or someone who can help?

4.Coming back to the NeoGeoMVS to JAMMA adapter, What Can I even do with this part I bought. I know JAMMA to NeoGeoMVS is useful to play other PCB games in the Neo Geo cab I'm about to build, but what can I do with this. :/

5. Sound, I know the JAMMA provides Speaker Positive L & R, but does anyone have any recommendation of speakers to buy?

Any tips or comments are very welcome.

Thanks everyone!

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
Just use a real power supply. They can be had for $49 on ebay. What's the atx gonna cost you, $40 not to mention custom wiring and molex connections? Skip saving the money. Also, when you look at the pinouts on the psu you will know exactly the molex connections you need.

Yes, wire it up to the pinout on the mvs configuration... along with every thing else.

ViolentWind2012 said:
5. Sound, I know the JAMMA provides Speaker Positive L & R, but does anyone have any recommendation of speakers to buy?

Wrong. Jamma does not have L/R audio of any kind. There is speaker + and -. MVS has speaker L/R
There are a variety of speaker options and depend upon your cab layout and what you want to get. Rock bottom arcade speakers are like $5 each. I have Sony bookshelf speakers that cost $100 mounted externally that sound totally bad ass.
What ever you go with, try always to use 8 ohm speakers.

What I would do is just go one step at a time instead of trying to take everything in all at once. I'd probably start with the PSU. Here's one;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/POWER-SUPPL...251?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53db10f93b

I have replaced a PSU in one of my big red cabs with that. It was brand spanking new and worked perfect. Took all of about 5 minutes to install.

After the PSU, work on laying out the wiring. You can use a JAMMA loom just remember you'll have to modify it to have the correct setup for D buttons and proper audio.
In any case, just go bit by bit. Along the way if you need help, you can PM me once you get to specific issues rather than generalizations where you're mostly lost from the start :)

Last edited: