Custom Neo Geo arcade stick

jay_red

n00b
Having gotten my CD system recently, and only having the standard CD joypad, I felt I was missing out on the full experience of the system. I looked online at picking up a stock AES joystick, but then I realized I had enough parts laying around to make my own!

I started with the psx-neo geo converter from tototek, since I had an abundance of psx controllers at my disposal:
DSCN0066.jpg

I had a couple of empty cases from some Madcatz fight sticks that I gutted for other projects. I wanted it to look as close to an AES controller as I could, so the extra holes and control panel in the corner had to go. I filled them in with a material called "Water Putty", this stuff is very versatile and can be mixed up very thin and runny, or thick like playdough, but when it dries it is rock hard.
DSCN0064.jpg

I took the readily available template online for these sticks, and created a replica of the AES stick (this was the easiest part of the whole process) Printed it and used something called "Lamilabel" available at your local kinko's to make it stick:
DSCN0067.jpg

I wired in the psx controller (some third party one I had laying around, that actually was very easy to solder to, the easiest I have done yet!:
IMG_20120224_224735.jpg

The joystick is the stock one from the fight stick, the buttons for now are some that I had laying around from other projects, I didnt have any black ones to keep with the authentic look.

After wiring it all up it works beautifully, and makes all games way more fun to play.
DSCN0084.jpg

I might do another with an MVS control panel theme, complete with the different color buttons, but for now this works great. Sorry for the large pics, I guess this forum doesnt resize them like others.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The Neo Geo controller is just straight switches, you can get rid of the PS2 to Neo adapter and the PS2 controller all together and just use a DB15 cable and wire up the stick.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
The Neo Geo controller is just straight switches, you can get rid of the PS2 to Neo adapter and the PS2 controller all together and just use a DB15 cable and wire up the stick.
I mentioned that in another forum (hi Jay_red). He wanted PS3 compatibility too.

jay_red

n00b
I learned about the direct switch thing after I did the mod, and being able to use the stick on different consoles is a plus. I dont mind the converter at all, everything works perfectly and I have no complaints, it only cost me like $16 anyway.

zapatistab

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Nice job on the stick...I always liked that button layout for Neo sticks. That angle feels comfortable compared to the standard Neo layout. At least for me.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I learned about the direct switch thing after I did the mod, and being able to use the stick on different consoles is a plus. I dont mind the converter at all, everything works perfectly and I have no complaints, it only cost me like $16 anyway.

Well, if you plan to use it on a PS2 or PS3 then it makes sense to have the extra hardware of course.