Physical Differences Between a US AES System and a JPN AES System

chany60126

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Hey guys,

I just wanted to know if there are any physical differences in AES systems between US and JPN systems? (ie Japanese text in area where serial number is shown, cosmetic differences, etc). I know all about the BIOS chip inside the system.

Thanks!

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
US AES systems are much heavier for one, due to more RF shielding.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
There is no real way to separate the 2 from physical appearance except the power adapter required. Just remember that the Japan consoles run off of +5v and will say PRO-POW. US consoles use a +10v power supply and will say either PRO-POW 3 or NEO-POW 3.

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
First gen US AES systems also use the 5V supply.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Its funny that HeavyMachineGun mentions the weight. I had two U.S gold systems, only have one now. I noticed that the U.S systems are heavier and when playing through rgb on my xrgb, I would see these disgusting lines during game play on the Japanese system, but would look flawless on the U.S system. Is it more a early serial # thing or do the U.S systems have different components?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Its funny that HeavyMachineGun mentions the weight. I had two U.S gold systems, only have one now. I noticed that the U.S systems are heavier and when playing through rgb on my xrgb, I would see these disgusting lines during game play on the Japanese system, but would look flawless on the U.S system. Is it more a early serial # thing or do the U.S systems have different components?

I've had Japanese systems that had the sheilding, too though. I think it's just another case of SNK's inconsistency.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
How about the US console's FCC-ID sticker? Finding it (bottom of console) would be one good clue that it's a US system, no?

chany60126

Kuroko's Training Dummy
My power supply is 5 volt and says PRO-POW. Not sure if my AES would be considered a 1st Gen console, though. My serial number is 30,418. It has an English Bios. I don't know if my BIOS was changed by the previous owner or not. But he was tech savvy as he had done a composite mod to the system.

chany60126

Kuroko's Training Dummy
My system does have the FCC sticker. Hmm... Did SNK add that sticker to the standard design of the system on JPN and US systems?

Last edited:

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
My system does have the FCC sticker. Hmm... Did SNK add that sticker to the standard design of the system on JPN and US systems?
I've only seen it on US systems, but I'm hoping someone will step in to correct me if there are exceptions.

[Edit] - 'Cuz I was thinking this was directly related to specific US regulations.

Last edited:

chany60126

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I've asked 2 people with JPN consoles, and none of them have FCC stickers.

irvsmoot

Cheng's Errand Boy
Just out of curiosity, how do the Korean systems compare to the other two? I've read they are lighter than the US and Japanese systems, but never had any details beyond that.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Just out of curiosity, how do the Korean systems compare to the other two? I've read they are lighter than the US and Japanese systems, but never had any details beyond that.

I've never seen a Korean AES in person but I assume on the underside it says KIA.

I'm gonna assume that Korea loves the AES because I've never seen any for sale so they must be holding on to them.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Funny, there's a picture of a Korean AES right on the Neo-geo.com wiki.

VIC-A.JPG

http://www.neo-geo.com/wiki/index.php?title=NEO•GEO_Korean_Cartridges

irvsmoot

Cheng's Errand Boy
I've never seen a Korean AES in person but I assume on the underside it says KIA.

I'm gonna assume that Korea loves the AES because I've never seen any for sale so they must be holding on to them.

Yeah, I haven't seen any for sale on any Korean auction sites. It's weird how out of sight they are.

Funny, there's a picture of a Korean AES right on the Neo-geo.com wiki.

VIC-A.JPG

http://www.neo-geo.com/wiki/index.php?title=NEO•GEO_Korean_Cartridges

I remember checking out that page on the wiki at some point, it's too bad it doesn't have more info about the hardware beyond that pic. I do love those colored MVS shells, though. I'd love to get my hands on one of the red Money Puzzle Exchanger carts.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
That would make the Neo Geo the only console they've ever cared about. Hopefully I've just answered your question, irvsmoot.

NES was called the Comboy and the Mega Drive was the Super Gam Boy here. That should tell you all you need to know about console gaming in Korea.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/korea/appendix-consoles.htm

irvsmoot

Cheng's Errand Boy
That would make the Neo Geo the only console they've ever cared about. Hopefully I've just answered your question, irvsmoot.

NES was called the Comboy and the Mega Drive was the Super Gam Boy here. That should tell you all you need to know about console gaming in Korea.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/korea/appendix-consoles.htm

Thanks, Neo Alec. This page is really interesting. Also this is the craziest looking PC-Engine clone I have ever seen:

console-zemmixpcshuttlea.jpg

chany60126

Kuroko's Training Dummy
The Shuttle is NOT a clone. It was a legitimite NEC system released later in the console's lifespan. It had no expansion ports to connect the CD attachment. The main purpose of it was to attact people who hadn't yet purchased a PC Engine system.

chany60126

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Neo Alec, since you are in Korea, have you ever seen a Vistar 16? From what I've read, these are not clones but legit systems. I don't ever see them pop up on ebay, just wondering if they are hard to find there too.

vistar1.jpg
vistar2.jpg

Last edited:

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
I've only seen it on US systems, but I'm hoping someone will step in to correct me if there are exceptions.

[Edit] - 'Cuz I was thinking this was directly related to specific US regulations.

This is true. The easiest way to tell a US system is the model designation "NEO-AEC", whereas a JP system will be "NEO-O". US systems also feature an FCC sticker, like this:

aes-016630c.jpg

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Neo Alec, since you are in Korea, have you ever seen a Vistar 16? From what I've read, these are not clones but legit systems. I don't ever see them pop up on ebay, just wondering if they are hard to find there too.

vistar1.jpg
vistar2.jpg
The only old consoles I have ever seen was this one kiosk at Techno Mart that had some old Japanese Saturn games. Oh, and one apartment I moved inyo had a GameCube with no connections left by a previous teacher. Generally we only see current gen consoles, and we are lucky to see that. I can hardly find old games when I search on auction or G Market. Basically no one in Korea ever cared about consoles. It's all about PC here. That's because Japanese companies couldn't sell anything until recently, and other companies like Hyundai and Samsung did a half-assed job of remarketing the machines here.

G

greeneye8181

Old thread... I know.
Has anyone else noticed the US AES is much heavier than the Japanese? Why is that?