Neo Geo CD

Giga Power

Host for Orochi,
Is this system worth picking up? I've been looking at IronClad pics for awhile now, and theres part of me that wants a CD system just so I can play this game. But I've heard some people complain about how bad the load times are etc. So anyone out there that owns a Cd system, I'm listening.

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
This question gets asked a lot.. Yes, the Neo CD has some terrible load times. Especially the newer titles and the fighters. KOF can be brutal if you always select Team Play, as it has to load each stage, then load the sprites for each character in-between battles. Games like Metal Slug and Pulstar also have a lot of load time. Don't even try to play Last Blade..

That said, if you have a little bit of patience, it is a great system. Load times really don't bother me all that much, but I feel I am in the minority. If you stick to the older games, and better yet buy a CDZ, the loads should be tolerable.

Neo CD Pros:

-Cheap games!
-Remixed soundtracks.
-Extra artwork (load screens)
-Built in S-Video Support, great picture quality.
-Exclusive games.
-Cool Pads.

Neo CD Cons:

-Load times!
-The occasional missing frame of animation.
-No new games after KOF '99.

Please correct me if I forgot anything.

Bluevoodu

Kyokugen's Student
Crossed Swords 2

..... I thought there were another 1 or 2..

if your interested.. just holla :)

I have a neo CD myself... yes, the load times are slow, but I love the system... It is 100% A++ in my book.

Games are cheaper, the S-video is very nice! (without being modded).

†B†V†

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I dont think the load times are bad at all. Kinda neat how SNK tries to entertain you with some really cool animations or stills in between matches. The animation for SS3 loads are very classy.

And for most newish games, the loads after the initial heavy load are comparable to SFA1 anf 2 on PSX. So, if you can put up with that, you will be okay with Neo CD.

And again, its perfect for all those Neo Games that didnt break the 56 meg barrier.

Magician Lord and Last Resort are a few of my one loader favs right now.

Giga Power

Host for Orochi,
Crosses Swords 2??!
My sex just fell out. I used to play the first one a lot with a friend of mine. Has anyone played this?!?!

<small>[ May 21, 2003, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: Giga Power ]</small>

M

mr.nippy

I have to give props to the Neo-CD! I own a six slot cab with some of the same games, but I think the two compliment each other nicely.

Some good reasons to own one....
drool_2 Supierior picture quality using S-video
:D CD-only releases! ie: Shodown RPG/Final Romance 2/Crossed Swords 2/Ironclad/ADK World/KOF 96 Collection/Zintrick/Neo-Geo CD Special.
:cool: It fits in well under your tv
wink Burikenger actually is one of the games that runs sweet on the cd, it's far too good to pass up, I guarantee you've never played anything like it in your life!
buttrock You can listen to all the music tracks from every game
loco Don't forget (most people overlook this), the Neo-Geo CD has a built in Memory Card!! It can save about 30 games odd!!
drool The main thing is you don't have to sell your car/hire out your wife/sell your home/work three jobs..etc. to own a fat collection of games! As David Dickinson says "It's cheap as chips"!
:( OK, like everything there's a downside to all this, the much fabled "Loading Times". However, as mentioned before, for much of the regular games it's no big deal, infact sometimes it can be good to have a little rest, or check out a different piece of artwork while its loading, but the rule of thumb seems to be to avoid beat-em-ups!

Oh yeah, and you can fit the whole CD collection into a Flight case, no need for cheap bookcases!

M

mr.nippy

Giga Power:
Crosses Swords 2??!
My sex just fell out. I used to play the first one a lot with a friend of mine. Has anyone played this?!?!
yeah.......Its a slight departure from the first one, there's three characters to choose from, and lots more moves, but the enemies are repetetive and cheap, but if your'e like me and must play every Neo game that exists out of curiosity, then it's worth having a look at. Check out Kazuya's reviews of it.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Giga Power:
How many exclusives? I know of Samsho RPG and Ironclad.
Samurai Spirits RPG
Chotetsu Brikin'ger/Ironclad
KoF96 Special Collection
ADK World
Crossed Swords 2
Okidashi Zentrix/Zintrick
Final Romance 2
Neo Geo CD Special