New to MVS collecting. I have a few questions.

BomberHead

n00b
So i bought this lot of games today. and noticed that some like titles (Puzzle Bobble) came in black, blue, and white. and bust a moce 2 is blue. What are the differences?

100_2965.JPG

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
i bet a couple of those puzzle bobbles are boots :/ but most times maybe an operator dropped the cart and the shell got cracked or busted so they just change it into another shell. at least thats what i do sometimes

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
Yeah, the milky white carts were Japanese rental carts. Other than that, I don't know if there's any specific meaning to a cart color. Many originals are known to come in odd colors, like blue, clear, bright teal (Mark of the Wolves), or even yellow (Matrimelee).

Some carts, like your Metal Slug and Super Sidekicks 3, will have their serial numbers scratched off or blacked out. That means the cart was originally purchased by an arcade operator. From what I understand, the arcade op's could get in trouble back then for reselling MVS carts, so they often got rid of the serial numbers so no one could trace the cart back to them.

Zenimus

Black (most common)
Blue
Transparent (Viewpoint, US Mark of the Wolves)
Transparent-Blue (Metal Slug X, and I think Strikers 1945 Plus)
Transparent-Green (also Metal Slug X)
Bright Turquiose (JP Mark of the Wolves)
Yellow (US Matrimelee)
Bright Green (JP Matrimelee)
White (mostly found in early 2000's carts)
Milky White (JP Rental carts)
Bright Red (usually Korean carts?)

Those are all the ones I know of.

Sixth

Sakura's Bank Manager
This is one of something that continues to intrigue me. I knew the white carts were rental carts, but outside of that I remain pretty unsure of the other colors’ distinctions.

Zenimus

One more.
Taste the rainbow. :lolz:

Hah! I guess the only thing they don't have are pink carts then? :D

Sometimes you can spot a bootleg if the cart color differs from the usual colors that game comes in. But then again, many games do come in two or more colors, so who knows.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I think the one for Super Bubble Pop is purple.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Transparent is the second most common behind black and especially was used for older titles. KOF 2002 is known to come in a certain variety of possible colors. Newer games like MOTW, Matrimelee, etc. often came in colors like green. The final four games from SNKP were always black.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Never seen pink. Thanks for sharing that. I'm assuming these are all real except for the Ironclad cart.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
What kind of plastic is that anyway? HDPE? I guess in the end they just took whatever color they had lying around.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
Some carts, like your Metal Slug and Super Sidekicks 3, will have their serial numbers scratched off or blacked out. That means the cart was originally purchased by an arcade operator. From what I understand, the arcade op's could get in trouble back then for reselling MVS carts, so they often got rid of the serial numbers so no one could trace the cart back to them.

Sucks about that, I really dig the holo labels