goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Well, before I go on, here's what's involved:

MV1F board
Neobitz 2.2
UniBIOS 3.0
Vizio LCD HDTV

I got everything installed after several hours of work. Double checked all the connections before closing things up.

Get it plugged in and flipped the switch. The board does turn on; the LED on the MV1F board lights up. However, there's no game image.

I've connected it to my HDTV via composite (figure try the quick and easy first), but it comes up with a blank screen (a blue "no signal" kind of screen). Through component connection, the screen flashes like it received a signal from the MVS couple of times, then back to the blue screen.

Several things to indicate here. JKurtz (who I also emailed about this) had 124 ohm resistors already installed on the RGB lines. JNX tutorials suggest 150 ohm. Could this be part of it?

I've checked all my connections with my multimeter for continuity around the JAMMA edge to get the RBG, Sync, and even went as far as using the Video Ground from the JAMMA edge. I'm using the solder points near the connector. I didn't solder directly to the JAMMA edge.

Any other suggestions? I have some 300 ohm potentiometers available to use. Should I try to use those?

Thanks all.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
The resistors are to adjust the brightness of the incoming rgb signals. You should still get a picture of some sort no matter what the value is. Post a picture of the wiring from the mv-1f to the neobitz.

A few things to check:
1. Make sure +5v and ground are connected from the board to the neobitz.
2. RCA jacks need a signal and ground wire

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
Could it help to run the composite through a vcr? This way you would at least get some easy satisfaction if the tv "just doesn't like it"?
Yeah maybe I shouldn't post in Tech.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
@Xian: I used alternate points on the parts side of the board. I realized, thought, after posting last night that I forgot to add the .01uF capacitor to the Sync line during my install. I'm thinking that this might be the culprit.

I plan on adding the cap and quintuple check my wiring tonight. Will report back with results.

I'm kinda reluctant to show pics because my wiring is all a mess right now. I was planning on getting a working unit before cleaning up my install.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You need to tap it exactly where it says in the tutorial, if you don't you will get either no image or a scrambled one.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
So, it looks like it's coming from the bottom of the resistor set that's along the JAMMA edge. I'm taking it from the parts side, so can I just tap the signals from the resistor's legs closest to the JAMMA edge?...along with adding the capacitor?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You need to tap the signal from the first resistor in the array. If you look at the trace that goes from the jamma edge to the resistors it will go to one directly, that's the one you tap it from.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Thanks, Sifu. I finally got an image...at least through composite, so I'm happy.

Next thing. I just have the cross hatch test screen, with or without a cart in. What do now?

The board has already had the battery replaced. No bad traces from what I can see.

EDIT: Got it to work. Just tilted the cartridge guide up a little, got the carts to read just right. UniBIOS loads up fine and all.

RE: The sync line. The spot I found that I could kinda see matches with the MVF1S sync spot had slightly more resistance than tapping it straight from the sync spot off of the JAMMA edge. Lesson learned.

Not getting an image through Component. JKurtz mentioned that my particular HDTV doesn't like the signal coming into it. Meh. I haven't tried S-Video yet, I'm hoping that will give me a slightly better picture. However, I'm OK with getting the image though Composite. At least it's something.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Cross hatch means the board can't read the program rom(s). Clean the slot and cart.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Thanks, Sifu, for your help. And also to those who chimed in. I was editing my post while you responded, Sifu. LOL!

Just curious. Will changing the capacitance on the sync line help my problem with it not working through component? Would increasing or decreasing the capacitance work?

Last edited: