CMVS trouble shoot

outlaw_moon

Marked Wolf
Hello fellow members, I just recently got a CMVS MV-1C in great working order. I played it for two days and on the third day [today] I got home and I flipped it on and all I saw on the screen was a pixel filled screen with all diff colors. I thought it was nothing just some dust so I cleaned the multi-cart and used an air-spray to clean inside the CMVS. Tried it again and still it comes on but the picture or lack of one is just tiny colored pixels filling the entire screen. I tried another cart that have worked fine and nice and clean but I still get the same issue.

I have tried putting rubbing alcohol on the cart contacts and inserting it in the CMVS in order to clean it that way as I have heard others mention but still same issue.

I will get my digi cam out and try to take a picture tomorrow for a better idea of what I'm talking about. For now I hope I was clear enough to get my issue across:help:

Any help would be much appreciated.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Sounds like a bios issue. Try checking the connections with a multimeter.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Sounds like a bios issue. Try checking the connections with a multimeter.

I agree, it has a NeoBiosMasta. Might have come undone or something. Open up the unit and check if it came loose. Might have gotten loose during shipping but was holding on and then finally came loose.

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
I will open it up and look at the bios chip once I get home from work. Is a multimeter necessary? Or can I just pop out the chip and reinsert it?

You can certainly try that, but if it doesn't fix it you will need to multimeter to help determine what problem there is, and where.

outlaw_moon

Marked Wolf
So I opened up the CMVS and before I go on any further please excuse my ignorance with the MVS board since I am new to it. As soon as I opened it up I noticed something was out of place and it seemed as other have mentioned that the bios chip [at least i think it was since I have seen bios chips before] was loose as in the picture...
P1010004.jpg
[/IMG]

So I instantly thought it was the problem and went ahead and removed it fully and put it back in to the socket over the CPU. as such...
P1010005.jpg
[/IMG]

I turned it on and I see the same pixilated screen...
P1010006.jpg
[/IMG]

I don;t know if I am not putting it back over the CPU correctly? There are 2 arrows that say >[jamma] ^[jamma] by it and i put it back the way it was unhinged when i first opened it up with one of the arrows pointing towards the jamma connector...
P1010008.jpg
[/IMG]
outlaw_moon

I don't have a multimeter handy but if I'm not mistaken they go for about $15 so my next option is to get one and see... Never used one of those but I'm sure with the help I'm alrdy getting that shouldnt be a problem.

Any ideas guys?

Last edited:

outlaw_moon

Marked Wolf
DP!

My pictures not showing:conf: Hosting through photo bucket...

Thanks genetik, I was putting the Email one like a dummy.

Last edited:

genetik

Mr. Big's Thug
In photobucket, copy the IMG Code in the links section.

Last edited:

BobbyPeru

Man of Letters
I'm glad it's done you well for nearly two years, Genetik.

If it was working for the new owner for a few days, and then the issue started, I wonder did it suffer a fall or something? Maybe it came loose during shipping, but worked until now.

It should just be a matter of reseating the NBM, jamma arrow pointing toward the jamma edge. You could try carefully removing the bios and reseating that as well. If you can solder, you might want to reflow the two wires connecting the NBM to the MV1C, making sure to connect them to the correct points.

You might also want to try a different video source to see if that's the issue. Make sure the video signal cables haven't come loose (follow them from the outputs to the board, making sure the solder is holding up).

Last edited:

genetik

Mr. Big's Thug
Thanks for the support Bobby. Yes, I loved it, but the Omega CMVS was too tempting. Had to snag it up. I'm not sure why, but I think I liked the display out a tad better on this CMVS. Not by much, but enough to notice it.

outlaw_moon

Marked Wolf
If it was working for the new owner for a few days, and then the issue started, I wonder did it suffer a fall or something? Maybe it came loose during shipping, but worked until now.

It should just be a matter of reseating the NBM, jamma arrow pointing toward the jamma edge. You could try carefully removing the bios and reseating that as well. If you can solder, you might want to reflow the two wires connecting the NBM to the MV1C, making sure to connect them to the correct points.

You might also want to try a different video source to see if that's the issue. Make sure the video signal cables haven't come loose (follow them from the outputs to the board, making sure the solder is holding up).

I'm quite sure it didnt fall the time i was at work cus i had it put away under the bed. I have no soldering skills but I am going to go through all the connections like you mentioned and see if I feel anything loose. I reset NBM [which I think its the one with the bios snapped on back the way it was and at the moment the [1c jamma] is pointing towards the jamma edge.

I tried pulling the bios out but its a bit jammed in so didnt wanna force it out in case i break something, is that normal?

outlaw_moon

Marked Wolf
You need to push the NBM all the way down until it snaps and is completely flush against the board. According to the pics it's not flush.

Snap it hard like I did, around 2:45:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3mHf02_9VM

Thanks very much X2, as you said I had to push down harder. I didn't knw if that was ok in the beginning.

You sir are da man!

p.s. appreciate everybody's input and glad to see all the willing informative bodies on the forum helpn a noob out.

Last edited:

genetik

Mr. Big's Thug
Nice! Happy that everything ends well. Thanks everyone for the help. Support on this forum is always top notch.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Thanks very much X2, as you said I had to push down harder. I didn't knw if that was ok in the beginning.

You sir are da man!

p.s. appreciate everybody's input and glad to see all the willing informative bodies on the forum helpn a noob out.

If you have a hot glue gun I'd put a dab on at least 2 sides to prevent it from happening again if you plan to sell it later before shipping.

outlaw_moon

Marked Wolf
If you have a hot glue gun I'd put a dab on at least 2 sides to prevent it from happening again if you plan to sell it later before shipping.

I don't have it at the moment but def will consider it if I plan on shipping it. Thanks again.