Sam Sho Series

FrizzleFried

Mr. Big's Thug
OK... I have to admit I've only played the Sam Sho series a couple of times. I recently picked up a Sam Sho 4.

Question: How is scoring done? How do I get on the "high score" list? Looks like number of rounds won, but I've run 4 or 5 and have yet to be asked to enter initials even though the list shows some 3 round wins on it, etc...

Thanks!

FrizzleFried

Mr. Big's Thug
Looking at screen shots it appears that prior to SamSho 4, the game used regular old scores...

...I'm still trying to figure out WTF SamSho 4 is all about as far as scoring is concerned.... anyone?

SSS

neo retired
nobody plays sam sho for points, bro.

at no point when I've played against jeffkun, evilmike, wasabi, art of fighting etc.. did we ever say "hey, you won that round but I got more points" or some shit like that.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You haven't really played Sam Sho until you played it with 6 buttons.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer

at no point when I've played against jeffkun, evilmike, wasabi, art of fighting etc.. did we ever say "hey, you won that round but I got more points" or some shit like that.

Yup. IMHO SSIV and SSII are all about kicking butt as quick and as fast as possible. Use combos and rack up wins. Impress your friends with your fighting skills. Rule the arcade.

:)

You haven't really played Sam Sho until you played it with 6 buttons.

hey, what's this I hear of a 6 button SAMURAI SHOWDOWN!?

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
hey, what's this I hear of a 6 button SAMURAI SHOWDOWN!?

It totally changes the way you play it. You just make a 6 button controller with some diodes for the 3rd and 6th buttons.

A--B--A+B
C--D--C+D

One day I'll mod a stick just for Sam Sho.

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Wow...that's...that's like, blowing my mind. Xian Xi. I never thought of that.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
It totally changes the way you play it. You just make a 6 button controller with some diodes for the 3rd and 6th buttons.

A--B--A+B
C--D--C+D

Isn't that cheating, if you have macro buttons for A+B and C+D?

SSS

neo retired

yes joe, why yes it is. In fact, looking at the screen is cheating too. All us good SS players play blindfolded. We call it the zatoichi challenge.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member

A--B--A+B
C--D--C+D

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

How is it cheating? It's just an easier way to get the 3rd and 6th attacks out.

Spike made a dedicated SS2 cab with the 6 button layout as well.

Sixth

Sakura's Bank Manager
It’d be strange to play Sam’ Sho’ with six buttons, but I like the sound of it. There are a few short combos and such that could be made easier with the use of a third and sixth button. I mean, it’s not entirely necessary, but it would certainly feel like you’re transitioning from attack to attack a little more smoothly.

Looking at screen shots it appears that prior to SamSho 4, the game used regular old scores...

...I'm still trying to figure out WTF SamSho 4 is all about as far as scoring is concerned.... anyone?

SamSho 4 score is time based, you just have to be the fastest possible. You can't even see the true ending without beating the clock.

Yes, it´s different from prior games, but evades the issue of highscore cheating by two players battle.

Just like to point out that I have the forum HS for Samsho2. :cool:

Strikes Heads FTW.

A--B--A+B
C--D--C+D

I thought about that years ago, but you can also have an easier time by using autofire, it removes some timing issues, it´s also great for comboing.