Metal Slug dev article in this months RetroGamer

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
I know RG doesn't have the best of rep's around here after the last Metal Slug piece they did
(a kind of potted history of the series if you don't remember teh drama that surrounded it - check out the "best of" threads.

The article is on the development of the original game and features an interview with one of the original guys involved.

It's a well written piece, imo, but doesn't really reveal anything ground breakingly new about the development that we didn't already know (the whole Irem / Nazca connection; the connections to GeoForce and In The Hunt etc).

For long standing Neo Geo MS fans like myself it won't tell you anything you didn't know already, (at best it confirms one or two things we knew about for ages). However, if you've only ever had a passing interest in the series you'll probably find it quite informative.

bloodhokuto

Меня зов
15 Year Member
This might be worth a pick up, what's the picture on the cover of this issue?

lions3

Igniz's Servent
Nice. It's available to download on the Apple newsstand. *buy*

Mokum

Real Time User Mokum,
A rare occurrence indeed! How are you old friend? Ready to sell your AES collection... again???!!! :p

Guess what? I've already bought and (of course) sold a nice Japanese collection :D

I'm now a proud owner of a SEGA Aero City and I'm loving it. I've put a 4-slot MVS in it and I'm enjoying the very same games without having to sell a kidney to gather some ;) (don't tell anyone but I don't care about labels' conditions... I'm picky no more! :X).

lions3

Igniz's Servent
Yeah, I was actually a little disappointed with the article. I expected a little more substance to the story. Maybe something closer to 1UP's Takashi Nishiyama interview.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Nice. It's available to download on the Apple newsstand. *buy*

Thanks for the heads up.

I've been waiting for this, as the process of chasing down an issue @ Barnes/Noble is frustrating to say the least.

And filling holes in the collection for 5 bucks a pop?

Say word.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Yeah, I was actually a little disappointed with the article. I expected a little more substance to the story. Maybe something closer to 1UP's Takashi Nishiyama interview.

For all the "hype" they give it on the cover I felt it was a disappointing read overall. However, as I said earlier for the average "man in the street" its probably an informative read, and I guess the magazine does have to appeal to the common denominator rather than "hardcore" Metal Slug fans. Shame the guy they interviewed came over as quite elusive.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
For all the "hype" they give it on the cover I felt it was a disappointing read overall. However, as I said earlier for the average "man in the street" its probably an informative read, and I guess the magazine does have to appeal to the common denominator rather than "hardcore" Metal Slug fans. Shame the guy they interviewed came over as quite elusive.

This.

Sad but true; appeal to the hardcore, & you go out like GameGO!...I'm surprised a print mag such as RG exists much less thrives in this day/age.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
doesn't really reveal anything ground breakingly new about the development that we didn't already know (the whole Irem / Nazca connection; the connections to GeoForce and In The Hunt etc)

A goddamned shame. Finally, an interview with someone who worked on the first Slug and it's squandered on things we already knew. Would have loved to hear some behind-the-scenes stories.

aria

Former Moderator
04.jpg

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
A goddamned shame. Finally, an interview with someone who worked on the first Slug and it's squandered on things we already knew. Would have loved to hear some behind-the-scenes stories.

You'd be majorly disappointed if you picked up this months copy thinking that's what you'll read inside.

I've started reading the mag quite often as I enjoy a lot of the articles that refer back to the UK 8-bit computer scene of the 1980's, which they do pretty regularly (it's a UK published mag after all...).

@ Bobak - lol, they really upset you on that last article didn't they!! :lolz:

lions3

Igniz's Servent
I've started reading the mag quite often as I enjoy a lot of the articles that refer back to the UK 8-bit computer scene of the 1980's, which they do pretty regularly (it's a UK published mag after all...).

Hey, can you suggest any of the older articles? Are the issues about Zelda and Final Fantasy VII worth reading?

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Hey, can you suggest any of the older articles? Are the issues about Zelda and Final Fantasy VII worth reading?

Yeah they're pretty good articles, but I'm not particularly a fan of either game, so don't know if they tell you stuff you already know, of whether they are truly informative reads. Still, entertaining nonetheless, just like the Slug article will be to someone who isn't either a Neo Geo or Metal Slug fan.