AES on LCD tv - help

Bazza1000

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Hi, finally brought my first neo geo aes, however it doesn't seem to run currently on my tv - a flat screen LCD, don't have any old style tv's in the house now. Did see the console running before I brought it however was on an old tv.

Only have the standard AV cable with yellow & White outputs.

Do I need to buy a new lead such as a RGB scart lead, please advise?

Here's what it looks like on my tv when tried to hook it up - no colour or sound with a dodgy striped picture:

4180ce3b.jpg

44dea3c6.jpg

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Hi, finally brought my first neo geo aes, however it doesn't seem to run currently on my tv - a flat screen LCD, don't have any old style tv's in the house now. Did see the console running before I brought it however was on an old tv.

Only have the standard AV cable with yellow & White outputs.

Do I need to buy a new lead such as a RGB scart lead, please advise?

Here's what it looks like on my tv when tried to hook it up - no colour or sound with a dodgy striped picture:

4180ce3b.jpg

44dea3c6.jpg
You are plugged into the component video slot. That's reserved for 3 lead video. Does your tv have a regular RCA av in? On second look try moving the white plug to the white audio side of that strip and leave the yellow where it is.

Last edited:

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Move the white plug into the white jack labeled Audio L.

Bazza1000

Tarma's Gun Polisher
The tv I'm trying to run it on only as the following connections at the rear:

7797200f.jpg

Bazza1000

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Well our other tv's have the separate AV output - so all good on them.

Just seen RGB scart lead for AES on eBay @£7.99 so ordered one of them, job done!

Thanks for advise guys and putting up with my silly question (me being thick!)

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Thank the colourful deitys of video displays, RGB is much more appropriate for a Neo. Composite (yellow) is absolutely horrible!

mjs256

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I think all AES systems output RGB, but some later models do not output combined sync. For those systems you must use a sync extractor to obtain a clean sync signal from the composite out.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I think all AES systems output RGB, but some later models do not output combined sync. For those systems you must use a sync extractor to obtain a clean sync signal from the composite out.

TVs in the UK expect composite video for sync. A sync cleaner is good to have on hand when using RGB. Just use an LM1881, it's a very simple circuit to build.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
Regardless of which pin it comes from the Neo's AV port passes a dirty sync signal, unless this is tapped internally at the chip, but where's the fun in that? :)

Last edited: