KOF XIII teams: Do you save the best till last ?

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
What team do you use and in what order ?
I use Andy, Mai and Joe............Mai I am best with whilst Joe I am the weakest with but better with him than the rest of the others.

I save him till last even though he is the weakest of the three as usually I hope to get by with Andy and Mai and if it does go to the 5th I'm hoping Mai has done enough damage to give me a head start in the final round.

As of this moment in time my ratio is 134-144
How do you decide your order ?

Last edited:

wip3outguy7

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I try to stick with the typical "anchor/battery" set up with my teams. Right now I'm running Terry/Billy/Leona. Leona is always my anchor as she rules the skies with meter. I rotate Terry and Billy now and again. Terry is probably the better starter of the two and he builds meter fast.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I will answer for all KOF games as to how I play. I always have a very strong starter and ender. My weakest person is always in the middle (unless, like in KOF98, there's a reason to put someone first/last because of mood). But, in this game, you want to make sure characters that need meter are in the back.

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
I usually run my team Weak/Medium/Strongest, unless I see a decided advantage in my favor (either in the person I'm playing against or the team they've picked). In that case I usually lead with my strongest, and then go weak, medium.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
I use Andy, Hwa Jai(was Ryo) and Takuma. Andy is my weakest, then I'm moderate with Hwa Jai and I'm strongest with Takuma and that's how I use them from weakest to strongest. I usually overwhelm my opponent with the speed of Andy and Hwa Jai then when it's Takuma's turn it's just raw power. Andy and Hwa Jai build up so much meter that Takuma has all the tools necessary to run through whoever is left of their team. I feel that's the best way to set up a KOF team.

Last edited:

Jacen

Rugal's Thug
I use my strongest character first which is Ash. I try and build up a lead, than finish them off with Raiden and Andy. I will switch in Billy for Raiden sometime too.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
I play kyo first as I can do solid damage with no bar, plus I haven't learned any fancy HD combos with him yet. Then I have terry as I can play him pretty solid with no bar but I can waste bar if a good chance to take a significant lead comes up, plus terry gains the cancel guage really fast it seems. Finally I have andy who I am most solid with when it comes to big damage combos, because he is last most of the time he has enough bar to hit hard if a chance presents itself.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Andy is my man and he usually leads the pack, I've always been best with chargers so Ash is in the middle to cushion things out and Robert is my dude to finish things off if needed. I can rock the house the best with Robert but I don't use him first 'cause Andy can 'cause a lot of havoc so when Andy is done (if that's the case) Ash comes in and throws the game off with the charging pace of game all chargers have wether it's offensive or deffensive and then Robah comes in with a lot of swing and takes the crown.

I sometimes use Terry, Raiden, Mai, Leona, Kim and fit them in their respective slots accordingly but I rarely switch Andy, he's always up front. I can play with pretty much everyone except for the newer characters, I play with Ash well 'cause he's a charger, I honestly don't like his appeareance much.

OK so about Ash, the first time I saw his design in KOF 2003 I thought he was a chick and I thought the design was awesome 'cause a leading girl fighter is something not seen in the real good fighters (not talking about weabo fighting games) so I was psyched then once I learned he was a man I was pretty torned. Anyone here wishing Ash was a girl?

Last edited:

Lee Gray

He might be a transgender..........I actually hate when someone has Ash in their team as I am slightly weary of his style.

Jacen

Rugal's Thug
Yeah, my friend came over the other day and thought Ash was a girl when he saw me playing him. I'm not a fan of his design either, and wish he was a girl. But when it comes down to it, he is my most effective character so he's staying in my team.

Zoel

New Challenger
I use my strongest character in the middle, which is Ash. The first character is my 2nd strongest, which allow me to see what kind of player they are and there playstyle. Then Ash will take care of the rest.

Ukee

Geese's Thug
In the past my team use to consist of Terry, Mary, and Leona. I loved that combo, I had my ground fighter, my lunge grappler, and my aerial fighter. Back then I would switch between Mary and Leona for first and Terry would always be my last. Sometimes I would replace Leona though with Athena.

After playing 13 a few months I have changed my team a lot. I still stick with Terry (being one of my all time favorite video game characters there is no way I could not play him), but have had to replace Mary since she is not in 13, and really don't care for Leona in 13 as much as I did in 98 (not saying she is not any good).

My new team is Terry, Robert, and Athena. I use the order Best/Good/Better, I start out with Terry who is now no longer my best character. Like others have said he is good damage without a bar and he dose seem to be able to charge his bars pretty easily. Second is Robert who I have always liked to play with in the past but never really took the time to main. I like Robert cause he is a pretty big learning curve for me, doesn't come as natural as Terry or Athena, I have to really work to be decent with him which I enjoy the challenge. Then I end it with Athena which for some reason or another has surpassed Terry as my best. My friends hate when I get to Athena cause she is such a trickster. I like getting to her and having people get relaxed thinking that the my last one is going to be an easy KO, I then I unleash a fury of abilities and teleports making her very unpredictable of what she is going to do.

Anyone here wishing Ash was a girl?
They should of just made him a girl, it would have been much better and made me play him as a main in my team. I do not understand the Japanese and their fixation with males that are mistaken for females.

trunxkam45

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I was a big fan of Ryo-Joe-Terry when i used to play 97 all the time. Weak-Better-Best but I always switch around as my ability is never all that consistent.

I didn't play too much of 13 just yet but I'd like to experiment with Hwa Jai. My secondary team usually consists of Benimaru-Kensou-K' though. I'm pretty bad with defense and really don't like to wait. So I usually am quite hasty with my attacks and go all out. Mix in some low kicks and it usually works. I was really surprised Joe-Kensou-Benimaru beat Magaki in kof XI. Was a pretty sloppy match.

Grapplers and heavy strikers just seem way too hard for me to understand so I usually don't bother but Ralf is awesome nonetheless. Hwa Jai though. He's pretty damn awesome.

Lee Gray

My main team has stayed Andy, Mai and Joe, I feel most comfortable with Andy although I get alot more wins from Mai while Joe I am all over the place with but seem to pull of more wins than losses with him.

Ash is a tricky one to fight with his fireball move and if you jump it they cut you up with their leg move, makes him tough to beat and in all honesty if his fireball wasnt a chargeback move then I would use him as that move causes damage but I dont like charge moves.

I have played a couple of good Ralf players, I try to stand back now as many a time I just allow myself to be grabbed over and over which is annoying.

I might give Athena a go as not really tried her out much.
I am on level 19 with Andy on level 13

trunxkam45

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Yea Andy is a fun one too. Kuuha Dan is such a unique move with that rainbow arc its hard to avoid using it. Also I want Ramon back!!

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
I kinda made the point in my last post but most people don't seem to consider it still. The order is not as important in this game as it is in a game like marvel vs capcom, but it is still significant. it's not about putting your best first to get a lead or putting your best last to anchor the team, it's about putting your guys who are more dangerous with meter in a position that they have meter.

even if you play casually and don't use the huge HC combo's you still want the character with the most effective super move to have meter to use it if he gets a chance.

Lee Gray

A guy I played yesterday on the 5th round had Iori as his last fighter and his bar was at level 4 and all I kept thinking was shit, this guy is going to pull something off any sec and fuck me up but he didnt even use it luckily for me.

Last edited: