DROPPED MY METAL SLUG 5 AES CARD!

ROBO2011

Crazed MVS Addict
hi everyone. I dropped my metal slug 5 aes card(i am an idiot).It was inside the box when i dropped it. It still starts up,but it has a lot of graphical glitches en distorted sound.Tried to clean it but no improvent. Anyone can help me out?

A desperate Neo geo AES collector from Holland

mjs256

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
Do you mean you dropped your Metal Slug 5 AES cart (cart being short for cartridge)? If that is the case then I am surprised it is damaged unless it fell futher than 2 meters or so. I am guessing the impact from the fall caused one or more of the pins on the one or more of the surface mounted chips to pop off its solder tab. If that is what happened then you will need to open the cart to fix it. AES carts were never meant to be opened up, and it is difficult (but not impossible) to open them with out damaging anything. I have opened one AES cart, but other members here are more expereinced at it and could probably give you better advice than I can. Once the cart is open it should be easy to use a multimeter to detect which pin (or pins) have come loose and a soldering iron to resolder them to their pads. If you have never opened an AES cart before you may want to practice on a cheaper one before risking damage to the valuable Metal Slug 5 one.

ROBO2011

Crazed MVS Addict
hi MSJ 256
Thank you so much for youre advice!
I have a 2nd copy of fatal fury 2JAP so i'm going to trie that one first.

Regards

Zellez

King's Dry Cleaner
Opening up aes cart is not difficult once you know how to do it.
Get yourself 2 old credit card or something with the same consistence and made of plastic. Don't use metal knife or screwdriver unless you want to damage the plastic of the shell.
There are basically 6 points in wich you will have to apply pressure (insert you credit card there gently) on the flaps that keep the shell together. You should start from the two placed at the sides of the cart base (where the connector is) and then proceed to the vertical side of the cart. Each side will have 2 flaps.

Some carts have also stronger glue that holds the shell together in the middle of the carts, so you might face a little more difficulty in forcing them to open.

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
This is why AES carts should never be played, ever. You don't want any insertion marks to form, and oxygen degrades the plastic.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Then what are AES carts useful for then? A form of solid asset? Like a bar of gold?

ROBO2011

Crazed MVS Addict
Hi Sellez

Thank you for youre advice on opening the MS5 Cart. Ive opened it,but i'm afraid i can't find anything.

Regards

Stev

mjs256

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
Nice job getting the cart open - that should be the harderst part.

Did you try using a multimeter to check the resistance through each solder joint particularly those of the surface mount chips? The resistance should be very small (less than 10 Ohms). Check each joint by placing one probe tip at the base of the pin (where it comes out of the black plastic microchip casing) and follow the trace to another chip pin or PCB edge pin and put the other probe tip there to check the resistance. Keep in mind that if a trace or pin does not seem to go anywhere then it is probably connected directly to +5volt or Ground through a middle layer you can't see. If you have any joints or traces that do not have small resistance then you know the joint/trace is broken. A visual inspection is not sufficient. Many times a joint/trace looks fine when it is not. They only real way to know is to check the resistance using a multimeter.

Zellez

King's Dry Cleaner
Nice job getting the cart open - that should be the harderst part.

Did you try using a multimeter to check the resistance through each solder joint particularly those of the surface mount chips? The resistance should be very small (less than 10 Ohms). Check each joint by placing one probe tip at the base of the pin (where it comes out of the black plastic microchip casing) and follow the trace to another chip pin or PCB edge pin and put the other probe tip there to check the resistance. Keep in mind that if a trace or pin does not seem to go anywhere then it is probably connected directly to +5volt or Ground through a middle layer you can't see. If you have any joints or traces that do not have small resistance then you know the joint/trace is broken. A visual inspection is not sufficient. Many times a joint/trace looks fine when it is not. They only real way to know is to check the resistance using a multimeter.

Could be useful to make a new post and have it sticked with a lot of pictures on how to get around the neo carts.
From opening to checking resistence and basic chips funtionability to cleaning with the adeguate tools and such.
I'm sure it would help a lot of people

Anselm

Camel Slug
This is why AES carts should never be played, ever. You don't want any insertion marks to form, and oxygen degrades the plastic.

LOL, that's the funniest shit I have heard in a long time. I bet at Christmas, you would sit for hours and stare at your toys from the other side of the box. THAT is why I think collectors are a silly lot. The only people who ACTUALLY care about anal things like insertion marks, are other collectors. They have created their own market to swap excessive amounts of money. Of course, they are also why I now have an MVS collection. But that wasn't enough. The collectors have decided the MVS must have collector value as well. It just never stops, and I think "collector" should have their own special compulsive disorder title.

~Anselm~

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
LOL, that's the funniest shit I have heard in a long time. I bet at Christmas, you would sit for hours and stare at your toys from the other side of the box. THAT is why I think collectors are a silly lot. The only people who ACTUALLY care about anal things like insertion marks, are other collectors. They have created their own market to swap excessive amounts of money. Of course, they are also why I now have an MVS collection. But that wasn't enough. The collectors have decided the MVS must have collector value as well. It just never stops, and I think "collector" should have their own special compulsive disorder title.

~Anselm~

I think collectors hate time. In fact I know they do. The more time that passes the more degradation the product (the cart) has endured. The more shrinkwrap and dessicants used often helps them go to sleep at night but it still doesn't negate time's everlasting affect on their collection. Thus collectors hate time.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Hey, wouldn't that be cool, if like SNK came out with a huge "2nd" printing of ALL their US and JP MVS and AES kits and carts. :D

Last edited:

ROBO2011

Crazed MVS Addict
Dear MSJ 256 and Sellez

Thanks for all youre help! i'm going to buy a multilmeter,and i will let you know if it worked!

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
It just never stops, and I think "collector" should have their own special compulsive disorder title.

There is, it's called "Obsessive Collector Disorder", or OCD for short. ;)

That's why I skip all the ridiculous "collector" crap and just get loose MVS and AES carts (well, the early titles at least). Nobody cares about them. Less headache for me and less irritation for the collector infestation who cry every time an expensive cart gets some actual use...

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
Hey, wouldn't that be cool, if like SNK came out with a huge "2nd" printing of ALL their US and JP MVS and AES kits and carts. :D
Even if they read, "2nd Print: Hardcore Collector Status Void"! ;)

doggydodomi

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Why even bother with the multimeter, you are going to waste a lot of time on it. If you drop it, chances are, something came loose. 1st, check for physical damage. If there are no physical damages, proceed to reflow the chips. For the SMD, I suggest you use a reflow station with a 6mm hot air tip, it is extremely difficult to do it with a normal soldering tip, you will end up doing more damages than good.

Don't bother to remove the old solder as well, just add a little wee bit touch of solder will do. Without a proper desoldering station, you are very like to break some traces as well.

If all well fail, contact me, I will buy the cart off you.

Last edited:

ROBO2011

Crazed MVS Addict
Hi Doggydodomi,
Thanx for youre reply. There is no physical damage to be seen on the cart.I send it to a the repairman of a good dutch forum. I he can't fix it, it's yours...

mjs256

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
I would not give up on it or sell it if it is something you value. It should be fixable, and a shame to let it go without trying hard to get it repaired.