MVS 4 slot no power?

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
Any ideas?
I do not have this board in my possession. I am considering buying it.

I'm told it would not power on in a Jamma cab.
No other info.

Is a dead board like this something to stay away from completely, or could it be something as simple as replacing caps on the 5v rail?

Guy wants $50 shipped, and it does have the cover. I understand that nobody can tell me for sure what it is, just wondering if folks think I should gamble on this.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
If DS#8 is down, it may be worth checking out. ;)

If not, then I'd hold out for one with a cover. :D

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
The price is tempting. But, whether or it's a good buy depends on your tool shelf, tech skills, and your spare parts bin. Some bad boards are easy fixes and others are expensive projects. It's a total gamble. :) / :mad2:

Does the edge connector look ok, or does it have some burn on it? If not, then that's a good sign. If so, then burn can indicate some bad chips. I'd PM CM, first, see what he thinks.

The 4 slot is a big board, is much bigger than it looks in a pic. Lots of chips and traces on the two boards. Shipping a 4 Slot ought to be between $15~$25. So, IMHO, in general, an ok price on dead / not-working board is about cost of shipping.

Personally, I like the 4 slots with the sold metal covers, in good shape. I'm not to big on the 4 slots with the hole metal covers.

I'd get it if I had $40~$50.00 to mess around with, and was looking for a project, and couldn't find anything better to buy. :D

Last edited:

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
Yeah this one has the hole cover not the solid. I like the solid better myself.

Edge connector looks fine.
I'm gonna go ahead and buy, probably start with replacing the caps on the 5v line and checking the dip, and if that doesn't work come back here hahah.

Thanks for the advice.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
If and when you get the board, give it a good cleaning AND give it a good looking over for cut traces and corroded (discolored) solder joints. ;)

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
malignant, the seller is a good guy, ive bought a couple of things from him, the only downside to the 4 slotters is the fact its a two board affair, thats why people go after the 1 and 2 slots, but hopefully it will be an easy fix for you.....and just for the sake of it, i think the hole cover is sexier especially if you either A: buff it too a shine, or B: paint that sucker...im just saying :D

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Yeah, nobody likes to T.S. through 64 and 99 pin board connectors. :P

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
I've never seen one shorted to the point it would shut down a power supply... I *have* seen shorted chips that would get so hot they would blister your fingers. Those are typically the 74LS245 chips down south of the BIOS chip that interface to the upper board... or the CXK-5814 SRAM chips.

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
Haven't plugged it in yet, will do that later today, but DS#8 is down.

edit:

Powers on and works fine except that the audio levels are very low. Going to recap audio and see what happens.

Last edited:

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
Ok, got it up and running.

Recapped audio (these are a lot harder than the 2 slot) and sound is perfect. Slots could use some cleaning but otherwise works 100% Not bad for $50 shipped.
Also did a battery mod while I had it open.