Geostorm, strikingly similar to Metal Slug

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Last edited:

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
i may be mistaken, but i believe they share common developers, hence the similarities.

wikipedia said:
Development

The aspect of the Metal Slug series was to create a simple, but exciting side-scrolling shoot-em-up game with a very easy control scheme (one joystick and three buttons). The same team that created Metal Slug for the Neo-Geo previously created a handful of games for Irem which have very similar graphics and gameplay. GunForce (1991) and In the Hunt (1993) had noticeably similar gameplay, with graphics that have a slight resemblance to Metal Slug. Gunforce 2 (1994), another title by Irem, had a similar gameplay as Metal Slug. Because of this, some fans refer to Gunforce 2 as "Metal Slug Zero".
Some of the stock sound effects from Irem titles were used in the Metal Slug games. The art style is done by Meeher and the music is composed by Hiya!. They worked on Undercover Cops before forming Nazca.
However, the first 3 titles were developed by the Nazca team before SNK declared bankruptcy.
It is believed that composer Takushi Hiyamuta (Hiya!) was a designer for Sammy Corporation's Metal Slug-style arcade title, Dolphin Blue, when his name was displayed during the ending credits.
After Playmore retained intellectual rights to all SNK titles, the characters Trevor and Nadia no longer appear in future installments because they were created by the Korean-based Mega Enterprise.

also i prefer my hostages to be women in tattered clothes vs/ bearded dudes.

Last edited:

N30_G30_speed

Angel's Love Slave
i may be mistaken, but i believe they share common developers, hence the similarities.
also i prefer my hostages to be women in tattered clothes vs/ bearded dudes.

I respectfully disagree, the fact that it's bearded dudes that might as well be fellow soldiers who have been imprisoned a long time ago keeps the whole aspect of "war" slightly more "true", also it's kind of a cliché that the ladies are always the slaves/prisoners, I'm not against it at all :lolz: but the change is nice from time to time. :D

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Both made by the Nazca team. Geostorm of course was made when they were part of Irem.

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
And good luck finding one, its one of those rarer board that people hang on to.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
First I've heard of Gunforce II also having the name Geostorm.

The first Gunforce, though, whoo whee. What a pile.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member

this was the first thing i thought of when i saw this post, so i'll just leave this here.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Air Duel has that In the Hunt look too. Love me some iREM.

Edit: http://www.blamethecontrolpad.com/irem/postapocalypticshootemups.htm

Last edited: