Slowdown in games?

Unstupid

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I was playing Metal Slug X on a MV1C off of a 161-in-1 cart and I noticed the durring some parts of the game (with a lot of action) the game would slow down. Is this beacuse I'm booting off of a multicart or would this still happen if I had an original MVS cart? I have no unibios installed. Would a unibios help or is that just how it goes? :scratch:

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
That is normal, and would happen anyway. The uniBIOS has nothing to do with slowdown.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
All Metal Slugs except #2 benefit from an overclocked system.

Unstupid

Kuroko's Training Dummy
So wait... Are you saying that all Metal Slugs except #2 should have no slowdown? Or are you saying that if I overclock my system I won't have any showdown at all except for Metal Slug #2?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
So wait... Are you saying that all Metal Slugs except #2 should have no slowdown? Or are you saying that if I overclock my system I won't have any showdown at all except for Metal Slug #2?

All the Slugs except #2 benefit from some overclocking especially the detailed explosions. Slug 2 unfortunately the slowdown is caused by incorrect programming on SNK's part which is why they made Slug X which is "essentially" Slug 2 but with a facelift. I wish they just fixed Slug 2. From what I hear the online versions of Slug 2 have no slowdown which is why I'd love to figure out a way to get the P rom from the online version.

red shoe paul

Stakes Winner
15 Year Member
Ok this is good. The machine I looked at buying today at a friends house (has been bought :D) had a slowdown during a Metal Slug and I just wanted to make sure it was normal..

city41

Aero Fighters Flyboy
10 Year Member
All the Slugs except #2 benefit from some overclocking especially the detailed explosions. Slug 2 unfortunately the slowdown is caused by incorrect programming on SNK's part which is why they made Slug X which is "essentially" Slug 2 but with a facelift. I wish they just fixed Slug 2. From what I hear the online versions of Slug 2 have no slowdown which is why I'd love to figure out a way to get the P rom from the online version.

Videos on youtube show running MS2 on an overclocked system has quite a dramatic change. Like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1thqYgjk-I

Not sure what you mean by "online" versions, but I can say the MS2 in the virtual console for the Wii has just as much slow down as the real thing.

MS2 is my favorite slug, and one of my all time favorite games. The thought of playing it without slowdown is enough to make me want to take the overclock plunge.

red shoe paul

Stakes Winner
15 Year Member
Ah ok it was MS2 from what I remember in my post above. Yeah it was super slow and that video it moves super slick. God damn.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Videos on youtube show running MS2 on an overclocked system has quite a dramatic change. Like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1thqYgjk-I

Not sure what you mean by "online" versions, but I can say the MS2 in the virtual console for the Wii has just as much slow down as the real thing.

MS2 is my favorite slug, and one of my all time favorite games. The thought of playing it without slowdown is enough to make me want to take the overclock plunge.

I made a video myself as well. You can only do so much for Metal Slug 2 is what I'm saying, you will never get rid of it completely like the other Slugs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_GzSfi_RY4

mr aize

Dodgeball Yakuza
From what I hear the online versions of Slug 2 have no slowdown which is why I'd love to figure out a way to get the P rom from the online version.

Would this be possible do you think? Surely a worthy project. Sadly my technical knowledge is fairly limited, but I do have a friend who programs computer games for a living so could ask him about it. Would it not still have slow down though, since it has been designed to run on a system with much higher spec?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Would this be possible do you think? Surely a worthy project. Sadly my technical knowledge is fairly limited, but I do have a friend who programs computer games for a living so could ask him about it. Would it not still have slow down though, since it has been designed to run on a system with much higher spec?

On the newer systems Neo games are just emulated.

mr aize

Dodgeball Yakuza
Ok cool, well i'll ask my mate for his opinion on it, who knows...

mr aize

Dodgeball Yakuza
Don't spose you've got a link for the version without slow down, just so I can point him in the right direction?

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member

Hey, I remember that video!

You wouldn't believe the amount of shit I got from this forum for overclocking the Neo Geo years ago. You would have thought I was talking about skull fucking a baby.

Seems to be a fad now. It's funny because I've grown to enjoy playing it in it's original stock form.

EDIT: Here is the original AES tutorial I created a few years ago (link)

Last edited:

city41

Aero Fighters Flyboy
10 Year Member
Hey, I remember that video!

You wouldn't believe the amount of shit I got from this forum for overclocking the Neo Geo years ago. You would have thought I was talking about skull fucking a baby.

For what it's worth I wouldn't have given you shit :) Any chance you would offer an overclocking service? I think it's within my ability but killing me AES would really suck.