The Hyper Neo Geo 64 Conundrum! Pics included! Help!

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
Here is the deal:

I have two Neo Geo Hyper 64 Revision I boards.
They have slight differences. They are both acting strange, and in different ways.
I am not very knowledgable, and I don't claim to be. I know that I am having issues, and I am posting relevant pictures and the information that I do know. I hope to become more knowledgable and hopefully fix my problems.

Exhibit A: New Hyper 64 board purchased from scgon.
I plugged this in like normal, and I receive the blue screen. My wire harness has the 3/4-C/D wires running to +5 on my power block. Scgon sent me two extra wire harnesses, one is for sound and I am confused as to the purpose of the second. Maybe I am not supplying enough power?

Picture A:
The board itself. Looking normal (I assume?)
newneoclose.jpg

Picture B:
The blue screen
newneoallgame.jpg

Picture C:
The business ends of the extra wires. They go into a harness that plugs in next to the extra speaker cables.
cablesz.jpg

Exhibit B: My old Hyper 64 board purchased from a small import shop here in St. Louis.
I plug this into my MVS wire harness and everything works like normal...only for the two Samurai Spirits titles. Before they boot up, I get an "I/O Initializing" message. The board has a slight difference than exhibit A...one of the fuses is replaced with two wires that meet with a white connector. The board does NOT boot up Wild Ambition OR Buriki One, instead I get a common error message for both boards: Hyper Neogeo 64 system log reader setup wait a moment.

Picture A:
The board itself. Note the difference between the fuses on this board and the fuses on the other.
oldneo.jpg

Picture B:
Hyper Neogeo 64 system log reader setup wait a moment. The message disappears and a black screen remains. This error only occurs when I try to play Wild Ambition or Buriki Board.
wildrx.jpg

Picture C:
Initializing message when I boot up either Samurai Spirits.
samsho.jpg

Picture D:
Hey looks! Samurai Spirits boots up!
samsho2.jpg

So basically, help!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Can you press the test switch when Sam Sho boots up? Since that's the game that works use it to get into the test menu.

It also looks like your PSU is not powering the board properly. How old is your PSU?

Last edited:

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
The test switch does nothing when I press it. The wire harness is set up for MVS. I don't know what I need to do to make the text switch functional.

I have no idea how old the PSU is. I can take pictures of that tomorrow? It seems to work fine for my MVS 4 Slot. Would those additional cables that I see mentioned help me with power? Maybe it's essential for an underpowered PSU? I have no idea where to connect the extra cables that come with the Rev 1.

Also, why would it powered board B fine and not board A?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Well MVS test switch is on M and Jamma is 15, you can just move it over to 15.

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
When I get into the test menu, what should I do/look for? :vik:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It should say what version mobo you have, hmm can't remember right now. I'll fire mine up tomorrow and see what it says.

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
Its possible the one pcb is the korean version which only boots the two samurai shodown titles. Are you sure the wild ambition and buriki one carts are good? The white connector is a fuse holder. The fuse blew at one time and they added a fuse holder to make it easier to replace the fuse if it blew again somewhere down the line. You twist it to open it up. The fuse is inside.

When I set up my Hyper 64 pcb in a cabinet I had to use the extra harnesses. Can't remember what the problem was but it wasn't 100% until I hooked them up. You should test the voltages. You may be starving it.

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
In any case, I still can't get board A to work. But, I was able to modify my harness and reach the test menu for board B.

It looks like that particular board is a USA board. I did all of my checks and everything seems to be fine. Very confused as to why two Wild Ambition boards and one Buriki One board have this error: "Hyper Neogeo 64 system log reader setup wait a moment."

There has to be SOMEONE out there who has experienced this problem.

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
Oh me oh my. I have board A working. It is also a USA board. I figured out how to wire the extra harness and that did the trick...EXCEPT now the board is acting similar to board B, as in, both Samurai Spirits games work and neither Wild Ambition or Buriki One work. They give me the same error. Now I'm getting the same error across both Hyper 64 boards. There is one little difference, after the "Hyper Neogeo 64 system log reader setup wait a moment." occurs on Buriki One and Wild Ambition, I am now treated to a second screen, which gives me the date, time, random numbers, and then says "COM-CPU DP Mem SSSS Verify Error." Here is a screenshot:
img0044oz.jpg

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
From the way the letters look it looks like it's under powered. You need to try a new PSU.

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
What exactly is a PSU and where can I get a new one?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
You probably need a new power supply, like XX said. It is the source of most of my Hyper issues.

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
Right on, I have two guys in town who sell arcade related things. Should I look out for a specific type of power supply? Voltage? Amps?

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
So, from this thread, are we able to conclude that Buriki One and Wild Ambition actually need more power than the Samurai Spirits games? How is this possible?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
So, from this thread, are we able to conclude that Buriki One and Wild Ambition actually need more power than the Samurai Spirits games? How is this possible?

Well, they are bigger meg games. But it could just be a failing power supply.