Conversions in Trader (Akihabara)

pattycakes

n00b
I didn't know if this thread would go best here or in the Feedback Forum or elsewhere.

A few weeks ago I went to Trader and to my surprise were multiple copies of some of the rarest Japanese AES games for too good to be true prices. Some that I remember are:

2x Metal Slug ~60,000 yen
2x BTG ~ 60,000 yen
1x Blazing Star ~ 60,000 yen
2x Metal Slug 2 ~ 25,000 yen
1x Twinkle Star Sprites ~60,000 yen

I took a look at one of the Big Tournament Golfs. At first glance it was really difficult to tell behind the glass case and through cellophane but insert was dull and looked like a good photocopy. The manual and sticker were mint but the cart had a number of scratches. Overall it just seemed off. So I asked the shop clerk what they do to screen fake carts and he said they don't do anything.

All of the questionable carts sold in less than 24 hours, and some popped up on Yahoo Auctions. Their were actually two posts in Yahoo Auctions, one warning buyers of converted carts, and another retorting the warning. According to the poster of the warning Trader gets in these carts about every 3 to 4 weeks.

Don't get me wrong I love Trader just not for high-end Neo Geo titles. I just wanted to put out a warning if anyone was thinking about buying from them. Also, I remember reading about how some of the converted carts were first introduced through Japan game shops, so sorry if this is old news.