Official Unibios Error Thread

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Might as well make one of these to keep them in one place, right?

Fixing a game and I get this:

uberror.jpg

What is it for when you alternate to the address registers and what does it mean?

uberror1.jpg

Does it mean that A3 on the cart slot isn't getting a reading?

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
The 68000 processor has 8 data and address registers. Knowing the address and data registers helps in fault tracking. The most important value is the first address value, 0xf41f9. This tells you where the 68000 crashed. Its basically in the game region. Knowing what the game is you can then use MAME or kawaks for example to see that should be happening in that area. My guess is without knowing the game that the 68000 has jumped to a location with no code due to either dirty cart contacts or something bad with the games bankswitching.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
What controls the bankswitch on the game cart? The Neo-273?

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
I think this is a great idea Xian Xi, it has helped me using these codes to get things fixed on here a few times, and having it all in one thread would make for great reading too.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
not sure but it would help to know the game this error relates to so one can look if there is 68000 code at the address where its crashing.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It's Aerofighters 2, it has some graphic glitches but everything on the CHA board looks good so it's probably the Neo-273 or something.

smkdan

Galford's Armourer
A cart causing 68k exceptions is an issue with program ROM access so the CHA board can't be causing it. Aerofighters 2 isn't banked so that's not it either. What does the gamecart check say? Is it the same error address every time you test the cart?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
A cart causing 68k exceptions is an issue with program ROM access so the CHA board can't be causing it. Aerofighters 2 isn't banked so that's not it either. What does the gamecart check say? Is it the same error address every time you test the cart?

I'll check later today. When it boots it has graphic glitches then I get the error.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Your going to need to run the gamecart crc option in the unibios a few times like smkdan says given the game does not use banking.

The 68k is getting to a place in the program ROM code it just should not be. I can see why you are getting this error but from the error screen canot guess the cause. For some reason the stack pointer (A7) is being moved to an address in the bios (0xc1107c). When the 68k pulls a value back from the stack its getting 0x000f41f9 as that is the value fixed in the bios. This then causes the instant address error given that point to an odd byte.

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
Corrupted program data (pointers to tile data) would "look" like graphic problems whereas it's actually a P rom issue.

Jeff

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Corrupted program data (pointers to tile data) would "look" like graphic problems whereas it's actually a P rom issue.

Jeff

Since traces look fine and I have 100% continuity, I'll pull the P rom and verify it.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Yup, P rom is bad.

Verify...Error at:03BE0:(20)

Replaced and now has different glitches.

Unibios CRC Check:

ROM Region : C0AA12B1 OK
ROM Region 0 : 926AB5A4 NG

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Bump, still need help figuring this out. Thanks guys.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
There is not allot we can do now until you get the crc error fixed.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
The P ROM is 0x1fffff in lengh. For this game

0x000000 - 0x0fffff is bank 0
0x100000 - 0x1fffff is the main region.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Hmm, something strange is happening. Pulled the P rom and verified it against the MAME dump. With the verified P rom I get correct title graphics but missing background graphics on the intro. With the original P rom I get a messed up title screen but messed up forground graphics.

fremen

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hi XX,

Hmm, something strange is happening. Pulled the P rom and verified it against the MAME dump. With the verified P rom I get correct title graphics but missing background graphics on the intro. With the original P rom I get a messed up title screen but messed up forground graphics.

Sorry for the optopic, I had the same problem with a viewpoint and the solution was to put a correct size eprom, I think that in this particular case the P rom is a M27C800, as you know sometimes MAME dumped files use duplicated size bin files.

Saludos

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
That's strange though since an 27C800 and 27C160 have the same pinout unless the MAME dump has the image doubled wrong. All the dumps I can find are all 2mb, I haven't seen a 1mb dump for the P rom yet.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
According to everything it's supposed to be a 27C160, 2mb file.

fremen

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hi XX,
According to everything it's supposed to be a 27C160, 2mb file.

From my knowledge Aerofighters 2 has a P rom of 1mb originally, so a M27C800.

Saludos

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Pulled the first eprom I burnt and now it doesn't verify, weird. So I burnt another and now everything is good to go, CRC checks out and game runs fine. Now back to repairing PCBs.

fremen

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hi,

Pulled the first eprom I burnt and now it doesn't verify, weird. So I burnt another and now everything is good to go, CRC checks out and game runs fine. Now back to repairing PCBs.

Perfect

Saludos