Is the NEO capable of running other systems? [NES, SNES GEN, PCE]

Josh

Banned
You see all of these adapters and clones running multiple different cartridges. Anyone know if the NEO GEO is strong enough to do something similar?

I know people are trying to keep the NEO fresh, but personally I'm not that interested in the homebrew software scene.

fiolinagermi

Zero's Secretary
no offense, but why in the world would you want the neogeo to run nes, snes, genesis, and pce? Those systems are so cheap now, I have a super famicom sitting right here boxed that I bought for $50. Not only that, but the dreamcast is also super cheap, and can run any of those systems, I just don't understand where your going with this man.

mhkohne

n00b
10 Year Member
no offense, but why in the world would you want the neogeo to run nes, snes, genesis, and pce? Those systems are so cheap now, I have a super famicom sitting right here boxed that I bought for $50. Not only that, but the dreamcast is also super cheap, and can run any of those systems, I just don't understand where your going with this man.

Some folks like to minimize the number of consoles/whatever that they have, while maximizing the number of games they can play.

That said, the Neo is the WRONG console to use to emulate other consoles. It's probably feasible to emulate the oldes consoles (NES, Atari 2600?), but remember that the Neo is no spring chicken - it was released in 1991, so even though it is really arcade hardware of the era (vs. home consoles of the era), you can't expect it to have an easy time emulating things that are only a bit older than it is (the SNES is from 1990).

If you want to do emulation, get a PC - it's got software emulation for almost everything easily available.

da66en

Zero's Secretary

I wouldn't mind running some NES games on my big red....

Josh

Banned

I actually started the thread with NES in mind but through in a few other systems for the topic of discussion. Why NES you ask? Because its just one less system to have, one less bunch of cables, 2-4 less controllers. And playing NES on the Neo-Geo would be awesome. If you don't see that then oh well.

That said, the Neo is the WRONG console to use to emulate other consoles. It's probably feasible to emulate the oldes consoles (NES, Atari 2600?), but remember that the Neo is no spring chicken - it was released in 1991, so even though it is really arcade hardware of the era (vs. home consoles of the era), you can't expect it to have an easy time emulating things that are only a bit older than it is (the SNES is from 1990).

If you want to do emulation, get a PC - it's got software emulation for almost everything easily available.

If its possible to have solid game play, I don't see why the Neo-Geo would ever be the wrong system to consider. Maybe its not your favorite system, but it sure is mine. Also, I'm no electronics engineer but I would think running games from a hardware converter is a little different then say emulating them on a Dreamcast for example. Maybe playing a NES cart on the Neo-Geo isn't the original source, but I guarantee it would be much more satisfying then playing a rom on a PC.

I wouldn't mind running some NES games on my big red....

did someone say rc pro am on a big red? yes please.

My point exactly.

SSS

neo retired
Yes, I have gunstar heroes in one of my 4 slot boards. I have a Dr. Neo M.D. converter I picked up a few years ago. They haven't been made for a while now, so good luck finding one.

Josh

Banned
Yes, I have gunstar heroes in one of my 4 slot boards. I have a Dr. Neo M.D. converter I picked up a few years ago. They haven't been made for a while now, so good luck finding one.
That's what I'm talking about. In my opinion, a converter would be much more exciting than a homebrew title. Can you show us some photos of it in action? Are these the guys behind it? neoflash.com

SSS

neo retired
That's what I'm talking about. In my opinion, a converter would be much more exciting than a homebrew title. Can you show us some photos of it in action? Are these the guys behind it? neoflash.com

Nah, not really sure who made it. Think it's a Chinese product. They just cut up a standard MVS shell, with some custom PCB's and a slot on top for a Genny cart.

DRNEO.jpg

Josh

Banned
Nah, not really sure who made it. Think it's a Chinese product. They just cut up a standard MVS shell, with some custom PCB's and a slot on top for a Genny cart.

DRNEO.jpg

Have you tested it with many games? Very cool! Okay, so who wants to start a converter line of NEO products? I'm ready to buy! :D

SSS

neo retired
I've only got a few genesis carts, like the sonics and Ecco. seems to work fine with all of them. Kinda limited though. D is unused, and there is no support for games that can use 6 buttons for obvious reasons. Features a basic soft dip menu for setting up credit settings or freeplay. Ignores the Neo harddips

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

DRNEO.jpg

That wouldn't work, the Genny cart is facing the wrong way. Label away from the arrow.

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
lol, you guys really fell for that?

The troll was super effective.

Coolface.png

Last edited:

Josh

Banned
That wouldn't work, the Genny cart is facing the wrong way. Label away from the arrow.

Too bad. I'm glad there's at least some people still around here who aren't full of it. Thanks for the heads up! Not that I was going to look for one, personally I thought it looked like shit.

Now it would be cool if someone could get a actual NES version up and running. Hint Hint. :) I have no idea how difficult it would be but I've seen your mods and I know if a group of you guys got together, I bet, something like a NES converter wouldn't be impossible. I know KPJ does cool stuff MKL and JMKurtz too.

lol, you guys really fell for that?

The troll was super effective.

I guess if you think lying to people you don't know is fun then right on man, you're cool. Sorry, I don't really question the credibility peoples posts outside of the Marketplace. But then again I probably should since it most likely has a close correlation between each other.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It would be a pointless device. Mostly because the games would look like crap and would be cropped with a border like the Super Gameboy did.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
The text isn't even skewed to match the angle of the cart, COME ON.

dedalusdedalus

Crossed Swords Squire
This is great. Look at the base of the Gunstar Heroes cartridge -- someone used the "spraypaint" tool in Photoshop to spray a black line around the base. It's hilarious how little effort that guy put into slapping that picture together.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
This is great. Look at the base of the Gunstar Heroes cartridge -- someone used the "spraypaint" tool in Photoshop to spray a black line around the base. It's hilarious how little effort that guy put into slapping that picture together.

im just suprised how little effort went into covering up that label. shit! its even outlined!

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
Still not as awesome as Guitar Hero for the Genesis.

DSCN1459.jpg

Josh

Banned
It would be a pointless device. Mostly because the games would look like crap and would be cropped with a border like the Super Gameboy did.
Do you know why that cropping occurs? I recently bought a Panasonic Q with GBA adapter here in Japan. I've always wondered that. Then again I've had a Super 8 converter SNES to NES and it had no boarders.