Large HDTVs that accept MVS video over component

Lum

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Recently my large LCD's power supply quit. While not a good thing, shows I should now be looking for improvement. It was one rather unusual model with ups and downs:
No RF tuner (WTF?)
Supports 50hz PAL composite (useful! not really pretty being still composite, but the base essential for my region mod PS2)
Incompatible with 240p from component input (damn annoying...)

Strange.

Anyway I've got a functional MVS board still waiting to be consolized, and an external RGB-to-component transcoder. That setup does work for my CRT. I verified it some time ago. But I'd like to make sure it'll also run on a replacement LCD I get. Any known compatible models?

If I must buy an XRGB type scaler, or even a Euro HDTV accepting 240p over SCART, exploring those options is not ruled out.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
At worst case scenario, you will have to buy a XRGB 2/3 or another scaler.

The only way to find out is to try it yourself, or read reviews. I would seriously do some reading up, especially in regards to input lag.

Here is a great site to read up on scalers.

http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/

Fudoh over there reviews a lot of them and is knowledable on what would be the best one for your situation.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
Get a new power supply for it ,unless you hate it. I don't like how even tvs have become disposable. I put a new power supply in my insignia and it is working great. Some suggest recapping the power supply others that they put bad caps to sell more units as soon as the "next" thing comes out.

My tvs maybe "big" at 32",And I'm really glad I only had to pay 40$ to be able to see the pictures go again.

http://www.rivervalleyelectronics.net/ Is where I found mine they seem to have a ton of stuff-

Lum

Kuroko's Training Dummy
At worst case scenario, you will have to buy a XRGB 2/3 or another scaler.

The only way to find out is to try it yourself, or read reviews. I would seriously do some reading up, especially in regards to input lag.

Here is a great site to read up on scalers.

http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/

Fudoh over there reviews a lot of them and is knowledable on what would be the best one for your situation.

Well, is there a device to interlace 240p into 480i? It might solve the issue. AFAIK many retro emulated collections last gen did that through software. But I've had no luck finding info online about hardware interlacers. It's always DE-interlacers.

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
Repair the TV, itll probably be a few bad caps on the PSU board, if its an LG its resonably common in some models of LCDs, the caps buldge and lose their capacitance. Very easy to fix if this is the case.

Failing that, go for a small portable LCD video projector, with a 4:3 format, and 800x600 res, they almost always take a 240p signal through RGB as well as composite and component.

Lum

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Maybe... The set is merely "HD ready" and does not contain any tuner. Making it, heaven forbid, incompatible with the Atari 2600! Lame.

An RGB to s-video encoder box would make more sense. If I knew where to obtain one these days. They are out there. After all such chips are popular to use inside a Sega Genesis or CMVS.

Last edited:

ChuChu Flamingo

10 Year Member
Well, is there a device to interlace 240p into 480i? It might solve the issue. AFAIK many retro emulated collections last gen did that through software. But I've had no luck finding info online about hardware interlacers. It's always DE-interlacers.

Why would you want to display 240p as 480i? There will be two things that will go horribly wrong with. The first is input lag, the second is transparencies may or may not be displayed properly.

All neo geo games are 240/280p.

There is a benefit of going from 480i to 240p on lets say, the PS2 SNK collections. You can do that by using a scan converter. Some people find buying ports of shmups on ps2 and converting from 480i to 240p more affordable than buying the actual pcb. This also allows them to play it on their arcade monitors.

Basically the XRGB 2/3 will convert something from 240p to 1080p. It will first line double 240p to 480p, than scale 480p to whatever native resolution your tv is. XRGB 2/3 will make your games look better and have less input lag. If you don't mind me asking, why not just stick with your CRT? For image fidelity and input lag, nothing will ever beat a good CRT.

NEO-GEO man

Dead fucken right on the CRT there ChuChu, digital displays have a VERY long way to go to catch even the mid range analog.

Lum

Kuroko's Training Dummy
True I didn't say that's "impossible". Though it'd be foolish to attempt. Too little space for comfortable enough setup of both a full size CRT and LCD together in the intended room.

What about a box that simply line doubles 240p to 480p, leaving things at that? I'm not the hardcore type who particularly cares about or has the patience to mess with all those widgets/gadgets provided by high end equipment. Just someone with common sense enough to grasp obvious facts like s-video, looking better than composite, etc. Encoding RGB direct to s-video or even composite would solve my core problem. I know that broken TV accepts AES input from composite. MVS shouldn't be any different unless SNK changed sync rate for the home system.

NEO-GEO man

How about forget the insuperior digital crap and stick with the vastly superior analog quality? What a notion!! ;)

Lum

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Right. No I don't have a witty response to that one.

Still you never know. It is possible to achieve without postage involved. Turning into a vegetable while I scour Craigslist 10 years for a 27" plus CRT accepting 240p 15khz RGB SCART at 60 frames per second could pay off! :)

Last edited:

NEO-GEO man

Rear projection CRT or even front projection CRT my friend, and there is no need for a witty response, if youre a true retro gamer, there is no substitute for the quality of CRT.

Here is a couple pics i thought you might like of my CRT... how about 120 inch???:
DSCN0139.jpg

DSCN0121.jpg

Last edited:

Lum

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Rear projection CRT or even front projection CRT my friend, and there is no need for a witty response, if youre a true retro gamer, there is no substitute for the quality of CRT.

Here is a couple pics i thought you might like of my CRT... how about 120 inch???:

That idea creates the issue of acquiring a CRT of epic enough size / quality ratio to justify not repairing or replacing this LCD. Which also by extension sacrifices future potential to create an HD home theater type setup in this room. Should I for some unfathomable reason want to switch from games to movies later. (yeah right)

If worst really did come to worst, I'd sell my consoles and become a PC gamer. Then the room wouldn't need any TV.

Last edited:

NEO-GEO man

120 inch is not an epic enough screen size? 1600x1200 is not an epic enough resolution? 1920x1080 @ 96Hz is not epic enough quality?

Im struggling to see a digital flat panel do all of the above ;)

Lum

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Um I don't follow. I'm not seeing how those questions relate to the matter of how I'd acquire such a device.

You have to remember I live in a backwards country. We play football with hands and helmets!

NEO-GEO man

You live in the land of CRT projectors mate, get on the Curt Palme forum and do some research!!

Lum

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Projector in a room this size? Seems excessive...

Take it from me. I'd suggest to AVOID this land. I don't get the big deal. Whatever immigrants are high on making them want to flood us, I'd sure like some of the stuff. They're already in other parts of WA. Might not be long before Canada begins speaking Spanish or who knows what else. Quite a lot of Korean businesses over in another city not far away.

Last edited:

NEO-GEO man

Im in Australia buddy, and i see no good reason not to take your advice and avoid the USA at all costs. Its not the mountain of gold alot make it out to be.

I dont know what size room you have. Mine you see in the pics is 6 meters by 3.4 meters wide. There is nothing stopping you going to a rear projection CRT, they are easy to come by if you look around. And in alot of cases, they will easily do 1080i, and at that, will look BETTER than a digital at 1080p. Not only that, they will look better at every other res you want to put into them.

Lum

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Could be. Doubt I've ever actually sat down to watch a projection set for any length of time. It's too bad most regular TVs lack the awesome PC monitor features like geometry controls. Being able to adjust for overscan and other things without external gadgetry, would be a huge boost to my interest in this.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I was under the impression every CRT had a service menu, where one could adjust a crap ton of little things about the TV, including geometry, voltage and things like that.

Lum

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I have no idea. Some models may use secret codes, others physical dials on the TV's system boards. Or what. I'm not too sure. Likely haven't seen a service menu myself.

NEO-GEO man

HMG, alot of newer sets do, and there is usually quite abit of control over the picture.

Lum, the more basic sets have usually got a bank of trim pots, such as what you see in an arcade monitor.

As far as what you can and cant adjust, youll almost always be able to adjust amplitude, which is pretty much all you should need to adjust to make anything fill the screen. You may need to adjust pin to get it squared up again, but every brand is different.

The service menu on a CRT projector has about 5 times MORE adjustments for shape and size ( even center and edge focus control ) than a direct view set, CRT rear pro TVs have a cut down version due to the fixed screen size. This is what mine has, some have more, some have less:

Raster/tube face setup
Optical focusing
Scheimpflug adjustments
Electronic focusing
Astigmatism control
Lens toe-in
Electronic astig adjustment
Electronic focus
Tilt
Geometry
Bow
Amplitude
Linearity
Linearity balance controls
Keystone
Pin-cushion
Point adjustment

Have a look here, cause youll be able to do simular things with a rear projection CRT: http://www.curtpalme.com/CRTSetupGuide.shtm

ChuChu Flamingo

10 Year Member
Usually any crt tv made after 1990 will have a service menu to adjust overscan and geometry.

You just have to look for the service menu code or adjust pots. It is crazy how much overscansome crts have. I just adjusted one that had horrible vertical overscan.

Lum

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Maybe. Thanks for the tips. Of course should I end up going to those lengths it's most likely to be for PC. With my limited space, I doubt any one console offers a large enough quality game selection and general functionality to warrant dedicating/tweaking a TV for perfect use on.