I bought a Scart RGB cable

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
My RGB modded AES has been always connected to my samsung TV with a full wired scart cable (great quality) and an adaptor from the AES Din connector to female scart made by myself and perfectly working. Crystal clear picture, no problem.

Some days ago I decided my AES deserved a own scart cable and I bought one in ebay UK.
Today I've received it and Voila! No image.
The same TV that works with my adapter, now says "no signal". Ok... lets test it. I've made a continuity test and everything was as supposed.
I opened the scart plug and no grounding to the colour signal, also no isolation. It is wired so the pin8 received +5v, switching the screen to wide (I hate it), so I disconnected that pin, swapped the 175ohm resistor to the pin16 with a 100 ohm one and extended the ground to the colour (pins 5, 9, 13 and also 17). Still no image.

Suspecting the din connector could have a slighty thinner pins and made poor connection, I dismantled my AES and made a continuity test between the pcb and the scart plug. Everything Ok but the problem remains.

I noticed the plug blades were differently shaped than my scart cable and swapped the scart plug, rewiring and so on. Still no signal.

The image still is perfect if I use my adapter and quality cable, but no image with this one. Any idea?

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
maybe it is wired wrong?

nop. I've made a lot of CMVSs for Europe and know well the standard... That's why this is weird.

The cable seems slim, but I've bought from a renamed seller in UK that claims this is for RGB. I would have used a shielded one instead.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
From what I've experienced, when closing the shell you need to make sure the scart connector sticks out about 1/2" and not 1/4", with 1/4" you don't get good contact.

fremen

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hi distropia,

Only one stupid question, do you grounded the pin 21?? as you know ground for colors it's not necessary.
Another dummy question, are you sure that the 100 ohms resistor is 100 nor 1000 nor 10000? because this sound as too resistance to activate the RGB scart.

Saludos compadre

mmmonkey

Quiz Detective
Is scart pin 20 wired for comp video or sync? If it's video, is it possible to see if that's working?

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
Thank for your help. Sometimes is hard to see the evident. Problem almost solved once I opened the DIN connector: incorrect wiring (pin 3 -> pin 7).
Now a new problem pops out. The whole image jumps one pixel to the right every 2 seconds for about 1/2 second. Smells to bad shielding.

Last edited: