Phantom-1 / Pranslation converter upgrade - Available!

DavidG

I've spent the past few months working with the Phantom-1 and Pranslation converters with the goal of making them work with all games.

The Phantom-1 has two major issues while the Pranslation only has one. Since both converters require the same mod to fully work why not include them in the same project.

The Phantom-1 / Pranslation Upgrade Board:

The new board was designed to fit the Phantom-1 and will address all graphic issues and allow the use of all games. For Pranslation converters this board will mount inside on the program board and will allow the use of all games. Note that the Pranslation will require the first mod already posted before the use of this board.

All games upto KOF2001 have been tested and work. Games include Strikers, Pi2, Zupapa!, Ganryu, NITD, KOF99 (both versions), KOF2000.

Games tested and fully work after KOF2001:

KOF2003
ROTD
Metal Slug 4 and 5
SS5 and SS5S
CvS
Martimelee
Fast Striker
8 in 1 Multicart
111 in 1 Multicart
150 in 1 Muticart
161 in 1 Multicart

The last game left untested is KOF2002 which runs off the same hardware as KOF2001 and will work. I will have a copy soon to confirm first hand.

I will be making a detailed post on how you can install this board yourself or send your converter to have it installed.

Last edited:

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
Absolutely awsome.

It is effort (and results) like this and NTM's "Neo Save Masta" that keep our scene/group/community (whateverthefuckyouwanttocallus) allive.

Thank you for the work that you put into this project so that others can get the most out of the product that is already out on the market.

mastamuzz

Eager Beaver
Awesome work buddy!

I know someone will be very happy to see that the multicart works!

I have the sudden urge to get a pranslation just because of this!

totally agree with Orpheus on your efforts!

edit:ohh those are the games that don't work including the multicart too bad:crying:

Last edited:

DavidG

All games leading upto KOF2001 already worked on the Phantom-1 without any mods. It's the games after that had issues. KOF2003, CVS and MS5 are ones for sure, Fast Striker doesn't boot at all and the multicarts had resets and address errors.

With this mod ALL games work. I've tested first hand every game but KOF2002 and Pink Bullets. Both NG Dev games use the same hardware so it should work fine and KOF2002 uses the same boards as 2001 so it will work as well.

mastamuzz

Eager Beaver
yay:glee: now on the hunt for a pranslation! thanks DavidG for you awesome work!

NG:DEV.TEAM

Marked Wolf
Cool stuff, I will get one of those upgrade boards.
Hopefully it's easy to install and well documented.
The past Phantom-1 mods seem to be a mess, especially with that diode...

Is it possible to upgrade the CPLD if necessary?

DavidG

Any game that requires special hardware to fully play will run but you will be limited. Trying to play I-Maze for example, it will boot but you won't be able to do much.

How hard will this be to install? That all depends, I just installed one and it took an hour to do. Wasn't hard but it does take time. You have to understand that this is someone elses converter and they designed it to prevent us from messing with it. If the black epoxy glue wasn't there it would have made life much easier. As you can see in the image the board includes the diode so for those Phantom-1's who require it all you have to do is add one extra wire.

Fandangos

Hardened Shock Trooper
I'm new here so this question may seem a little noobie.

If you only have the AES so far, unmodded. There will be a phantom1+pranslation alltogether to sell in the near future?

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
I'm new here so this question may seem a little noobie.

If you only have the AES so far, unmodded. There will be a phantom1+pranslation alltogether to sell in the near future?

Only time will tell, but I wouldn't suggest making any new converter purchases in the near future, just in case. Especially not the Super, since that's the only one that hasn't been fixed.

TikTekTak

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
Now were did I see a Phantom-1 for a nice price and thought "Oh well I can't buy it because it doesn't work properly with some games I'd love to get."?

Thanks a lot for your effort and hard work. That is really respectable.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
So great. I wish this had been around when I had a converter. But I had to be an early adopter. Thank you for your work.

DavidG

I have a small number of these boards ready to go. If anyone wants to have one of these installed for them, please send me a PM. The second run which will be several hundred untis will be available for sale within a month.