Fixing up Pop N Bounce

ne7

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
hey peeps, just got a real pop n bounce cart which is a bit ill, it has perfect video but the sound is screwy - it doesnt play SFX and the music has a high pitched whine in the bg at all times.

When going into the Unibios junkbox its clear that some sound assets are just playing this high pitched whine rather than the actual sound effect / music you are selecting (which I thought was prob the V chip)

It's also been sanded on the cart edges quite heavily (i have no fooking idea why people do this -sigh-) - is this something that could cause this kind of problem?

So I've re-flowed solder on the M1 and V1 chips which helped a little.

Does this sound like it needs a re-burnt chip applied or am i missing something? :)

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Check the traces where its been sanded could have cut a trace sanding it. Its also possible that its a problem cart if its been sanded already. Sounds like the last owner also had problems with it. Can you post pics of the prog board?

ne7

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
could well be the sanding yea, i already saw one broken one and did a quick n dirty fix to it - will try and post a piccy soon thanks man!

Zellez

King's Dry Cleaner
anyone willing to explain what you guys mean with "sanding" here (or what would this process be)?
Gave a fast look on google, but couldnt find anything about it

ne7

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
hey no problem >
sanding is when someone gets sandpaper or glasspaper and grinds down the pin connectors on a cartridge instead of cleaning them carefully or using an eraser to remove debris which is much more sensible.

hufford

n00b
I don't like it either but sometimes some carts are so bad (Yaton) that u have to, I've never had any problems just be easy and use that black superfine stuff, go in one direction, it should be fine

Zellez

King's Dry Cleaner
You know what sandpaper is, right?

At least that much ;)

hey no problem >
sanding is when someone gets sandpaper or glasspaper and grinds down the pin connectors on a cartridge instead of cleaning them carefully or using an eraser to remove debris which is much more sensible.

Thanks for the explanation. Now I see how this could seriously damage a board. I suppose sanding should be used only as last resource if you care about your stuff.