Fixing a NeoCD pad: how do I take the tumb thingie off?

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I pried and pried at it but it won't budge. I feel like I'm gonna break it. I can't seem to get it to budge one bit! Can someone give me advice on this?

Arakon

Robert Garcia's Butler
force. unfortunately there's no real clean way to do it. try lifting it with a screwdriver some.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
OK! I got the thumb thing off! I'm now trying to open the switch, any tips on that?

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
The sad aftermath...

Well I got it back together, but it still won't register down (it won't even make a click when it goes down). I couldn't get the metal contact pad to come out of the blue switch for down so I just put the switch back together and reassembled the pad. Oh well at least it was cheap, and plus I can play Magical Drop 3 and Neo Turf Masters without needing to go down. If anyone has advice or would try to repair my pad for a small fee please let me know.

c.t.h

Maxima's Barber
I got the blue thingie off a couple of my busted pads (I seem to have a lot now, sigh) and there was no dirt there...they even make the clicking just don't register the direction. I guess the switch is busted.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
c.t.h:
I got the blue thingie off a couple of my busted pads (I seem to have a lot now, sigh) and there was no dirt there...they even make the clicking just don't register the direction. I guess the switch is busted.
Man why couldn't they have designed it better? Oh well, I'm still happy with it (MD3 and NTM are fun games), I got it and some free stuff at a good price. And I can be charge characters in fighting games (unless they need a down charge).

Freelancer

Banned
Compared to the Neo joysticks, I've found the CD pad to be the most difficult Neo-related item to open and re-assemble! Especially getting the damn controller cord to snap into the guides and stay there as you close the damn thing to reassemble!

The switches are low quality all the way and the fact that so much plastic dust accumulates in there is a testament of poor design. That's partially the reason why I loathe the CD pad...each one I come across has issues and needs either a good contact cleaning or some other minor repair job. oh_no

As you can see on <a href="http://www.gamesx.com/controldata/neopadfix.htm" target="_blank">my site</a> fixing a neo pad is pretty easy, really. It should NEED fixing, but I think it's a fact that SNK's hardware has always been pretty shoddy, the pads probably being the worst. They learned their lesson with the pocket though, much better design.

You can probably prevent your pad from grinding up so much dust by slapping some grease in the fulcrum bowl BEFORE it starts getting funny. On a new one this'll probably give you years of extra use.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
good news, kinda. I found that if I press rather hard on down, it registers. It faintly makes a clicking noise. So what can I do to compensate for the extra pressure needed to push the switch? Perhaps lean it forward and put something (like tape) between the back of the switch and the black octagon holder deelie that will work. Anyone have suggestions?

The thumb thing gets easier to come off after use, BTW.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
DanAdamKOF:
I pried and pried at it but it won't budge. I feel like I'm gonna break it. I can't seem to get it to budge one bit! Can someone give me advice on this?
Let me give you some advice.
Dont ever buy another neo cd pad again.
I've been through em.
When you bring down those four Dpad pieces over time to clean, they BREAK OFF. (Soldering these can be a bitch to)
If you read the cleaning faq (you know which one I mean)
Then you know what I am referring to.
No matter how many times you clean em, the "plastic dust" will always come back, and soon enough you will be cleaning them once a weak.
A good hour of play can jam those things very fast.

I think if someone could produce those 4 white pieces in the Dpad in a different material, it would do these pads a world of good.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Lord Wolfgang Krauser:
DanAdamKOF:
Let me give you some advice.
Dont ever buy another neo cd pad again.
I've been through em.
When you bring down those four Dpad pieces over time to clean, they BREAK OFF. (Soldering these can be a bitch to)
If you read the cleaning faq (you know which one I mean)
Then you know what I am referring to.
No matter how many times you clean em, the "plastic dust" will always come back, and soon enough you will be cleaning them once a weak.
A good hour of play can jam those things very fast.

I think if someone could produce those 4 white pieces in the Dpad in a different material, it would do these pads a world of good.
It's not gonna get used that often. Read my latest post on this thread.