Neo AES not working :( - please help!!!

OK I'm gonna try to give you as much info as I can here:

Have a Neo AES w/UniBios & S-Video mods.

Model: NEO-AEC
Rating: 8W
Says "USE PRO-POW-E AC ADAPTOR ONLY"
Serial No: 90A 067978

There's a red light inside the console near the top that turns on when I turn on the power, but nothing comes up on the screen, no sound.

I've tried with the S-Video cables, and with a Genesis 1 AV cord.

I used the power supply that was provided by the seller, info as follows:

AC/DC adaptor
Model: SDK-0302
Input: 100-240VAC
50/60HZ
Output: 9VDC 1000mA

PLEASE HELP!!!

I worked out a trade for this stuff, and I don't want to trade back because I'll never ever bring myself to spend the kind of $ that's necessary to own a Neo (especially a modded one) :(

Thanks so much!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Do you not get anything on the screen with no cart inserted? Use the stock AV cable instead.

Do you not get anything on the screen with no cart inserted? Use the stock AV cable instead.
Definitely try this. Try every video output available [Composite, RF, etc.] on the system to narrow down the possibilities. It could also just be the cart slot pins, but the system I sent you was in pretty good condition. It's worth a try, anyway.

Yeah...I've cleaned the cart pins with Weiman's just like I do NES games. No luck. I've also tried all different configurations with the A/V's. Even tried a Genesis 1 AV cable.

I had a glimmer of hope....the game loaded for like 3 seconds and then shut off, no signal.

But that red light inside the system is on....that's what's so perplexing.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
It reads like it could be the AC barrel jack on your console.Play with the plug of the adapter around the consol'es power jack.
BB

Hey, that's a good sign! That probably means that there is nothing wrong with the console internally, and could just be a problem with the AC adapter! It was a bit of a flimsy adapter, so I wouldn't be surprised if it developed issues down the line. Sorry that it did, though. Are there any generic AC adapters that work with this AES model?

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Any of the multi-voltage adapters will work as long as it outputs 9v around 1.2A.... I think 1A is a bit on the small side, but that's just me. Fry's carries one that has a tip that fits perfectly, but I doubt you have one of those stores up in Michigan.

RJ

PS: Virtual wave! We were there at the Henry Ford museum and the Rouge plant tour to see the F150s being built earlier today. :)

Just out of curiosity, would a Model 1 Genesis AC Adapter work on this model of AES?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Yes. I'd recommend +9v@2A though. At 1.2A I had problems with even a Fatal Fury cart.

Well, I'm sorry to report that none of the above works.

Tried a 9v 1.2 A...nothing. 9v 2A...nothing.

Played with the plug, the adapter...still nothing.

Does anyone here know how to repair an AES? I would be willing to pay for repairs for it, as long as it isn't too expensive. It is my responsibility, anyway.

Or, is there anything else that linktothepast should try before sending it back?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I had a glimmer of hope....the game loaded for like 3 seconds and then shut off, no signal.

What do you mean by "it shut off"? What brand TV are you using? It kinda sounds like your TV just doesn't like the Neo's sync rate, it's also possible that your Neo's revision is prior to 3-5 so it has AC coupling problems. Can you look inside the cart slot to the right and see what revision it says? It will say 3-X.

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
Just out of curiosity, would a Model 1 Genesis AC Adapter work on this model of AES?
Yep, itll work fine with any game you put in it in my experience, no matter how big the meg count. They are 10 volt, 1.2A, and i use one on both my AES machines. I dont think 9 volt with a max of 1 amp can deliver the required power, its fine with 10 volt supplies, cause the PRO POW E is 10 volts and can deliver a max of 1 amp, i have one here. The model 1 Genesis adaptor can deliver 1.2 amps, at 10 volts i dont think it would pull that much current anyway.

If the red light is on inside the machine which you said earlier it is, it is obviously not just the plug at the back of the machine. If it was, the red light would go out when the connection was no good.

What i think you should try is get some headphones that you know work fine, and connect them to the front of the machine, if you get sound, the machine is not the issue.

If you do get sound, i would say Xian Xi has nailed it pretty good in thinking your TV or display device is the issue, cause i tend to think the same.

If you can see this red light inside the machine, i assume you have the top off, so youll be able to see the revision number at the far right edge of the board, if the top is on, you can see it the way Xian Xi sugests.

OK so I hooked up the headphones. You can hear a loud "click" in the headphones when I turn the system off/on. Also some random humming/buzzing noises...no game sounds.

I turned it on once, and the game started (showed the Neo Geo screen) and then went blank again. I'm def not getting a signal to the TV because the TV says it's searching for a signal. I have a Samsung HDTV that's a few years old, it's not even flat panel, one of the "fat" flat-screen HDTV's.

I do not have the top off, it's not technically "mine" so I don't wanna mess with it, especially since I have no idea what I'm doing.

I don't see any 3-X inside there. I see a bunch of random numbers, and there's an SP-1 on the right? What else would I possibly be looking for inside there?

What do you mean by "it shut off"? What brand TV are you using? It kinda sounds like your TV just doesn't like the Neo's sync rate, it's also possible that your Neo's revision is prior to 3-5 so it has AC coupling problems. Can you look inside the cart slot to the right and see what revision it says? It will say 3-X.

Yep, itll work fine with any game you put in it in my experience, no matter how big the meg count. They are 10 volt, 1.2A, and i use one on both my AES machines. I dont think 9 volt with a max of 1 amp can deliver the required power, its fine with 10 volt supplies, cause the PRO POW E is 10 volts and can deliver a max of 1 amp, i have one here. The model 1 Genesis adaptor can deliver 1.2 amps, at 10 volts i dont think it would pull that much current anyway.

If the red light is on inside the machine which you said earlier it is, it is obviously not just the plug at the back of the machine. If it was, the red light would go out when the connection was no good.

What i think you should try is get some headphones that you know work fine, and connect them to the front of the machine, if you get sound, the machine is not the issue.

If you do get sound, i would say Xian Xi has nailed it pretty good in thinking your TV or display device is the issue, cause i tend to think the same.

If you can see this red light inside the machine, i assume you have the top off, so youll be able to see the revision number at the far right edge of the board, if the top is on, you can see it the way Xian Xi sugests.

OK....I got it working!!! BUT...now I have a whole new problem.

The system only reads the game when I actually apply downward pressure on the cart into the cart slot. As soon as I let go, no signal.

How the heck can this be fixed???

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
Simple. You need to clean the damn thing, and thats all. It has dirty connections. Clean the cartridge edge terminals with contact cleaner, and then push the cart in and turn it on. If you wriggle it in and out end for end abit, id almost bet a week's pay itll work fine.

Well, I just spent my entire lunch break with contact cleaner, a toothbrush, a credit card, and q-tips.

I still have to push it in and apply pressure.

Thanks for all of your help guys, I really do appreciate it. I'm just going to send this thing back and hope that I get an opportunity to get another one someday at a fair price :(

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If you need pressure it sounds like something wasn't soldered good or is loose like the bios. That's out of your ability to fix so sending it back would be ideal.

dragonpt

Over Top Auto Mechanic
10 Year Member
Well, I just spent my entire lunch break with contact cleaner, a toothbrush, a credit card, and q-tips.

I still have to push it in and apply pressure.

Thanks for all of your help guys, I really do appreciate it. I'm just going to send this thing back and hope that I get an opportunity to get another one someday at a fair price :(

This, maybe check the unibios solders, or solders breaks.

Well, he sent the system back to me, so I would like to see if I can get it working. I opened it up, and there doesn't seem to be any loose connections. Is there anything I should be looking for?

Also, applying pressure to the cart no longer works for the system. I was able to get the boot screen to flash for 1 second the first time I started it up, but not after that.

Does anyone here repair AES systems? I want to get this fixed, but I don't know the first thing about Neo Geo repair.

Last edited: