Supergun - upgrading from 1 slot to 4 slot questions

Right now I am a running MV-1f with my home built supergun. It is powered using a pc power supply with both 5v and 12v hooked up.

It is wired close to jamma standard, the only difference being the audio is wired a bit differently to take advantage of the mv-1f stereo, without looking at it I think audio - and + are wired to scart audio out l/r with the board set to stereo mode.

I want to upgrade to a 4 slot.

Do I need to do anything different with power? Right now 5v is fused for 10amp i think and 12v for 2amp.

For wiring I am considering changing the wiring to be 100% mvs, which will be used the majority of the time and using a mvs-jamma adapter for the jamma/cps2 boards I might get down the line.

Are there any known issues with this setup? Would wiring jamma standard then using jamma->mvs make more sense?

Can a 4 slot be easily modded to use coin cells batteries like the 1 slots? Guessing I would need to take the case off.

Do 4 slots have any kind of known issues i should ask about when looking for a board here? I've heard the 6 slots can be touchy.

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I'm surprised nobody answered this thread. I'll give it a shot.

Do I need to do anything different with power? Right now 5v is fused for 10amp i think and 12v for 2amp.

Well, as long as your ATX power supply isn't a total piece of garbage, 10A should be plenty for a 4-slot.

For wiring I am considering changing the wiring to be 100% mvs, which will be used the majority of the time and using a mvs-jamma adapter for the jamma/cps2 boards I might get down the line.

Are there any known issues with this setup? Would wiring jamma standard then using jamma->mvs make more sense?

It depends how much soldering you want to do really. Since there's only one arcade system that uses MVS pinout, you could take the easy route and configure your supergun for JAMMA, then get a jamma to mvs adapter.

However, I think you'd be stuck with mono sound in that case. If that's a problem, then go the other way with an MVS compliant Supergun, then buying an MVS to JAMMA adapter.

Can a 4 slot be easily modded to use coin cells batteries like the 1 slots? Guessing I would need to take the case off.

As far as I know, every MVS board can be modded for non-rechargeable batteries. Pretty sure Jamma Nation X has guides for most every board model.

Do 4 slots have any kind of known issues i should ask about when looking for a board here? I've heard the 6 slots can be touchy.

Not really, just that there always seems to be an inordinate amount of broken 4-slots, probably due to leaky batteries. 6-slots are usually problematic only because of it's hunger for amps. I would recommend a 15 or 20 amp fused power source to ensure optimum performance. There's nothing wrong with too many amps, but too little always causes problems.

Thanks that does clear up a few things. I'll research the stereo issue.

My atx supply should be fine, its the one they sell on jammaboards.com.

dragonpt

Over Top Auto Mechanic
10 Year Member
why dont you just make an stereo/mono switch

basicly thats the only diference from jamma to Mvs

dragonpt

Over Top Auto Mechanic
10 Year Member
Mono/Stereo switch as well as an MVS/Jamma test switch.

yeah, i have that test switch and now i need to make an mono/stereo switch, becouse i just made the 5v/stereo mod on the MV-1FZ PCB, but something went whrong, i have stereo (tested the 2 chanels), but tere is a nasty noise in background, unplayable.......

edit :

is this the correct mono/stereo (mvs/jamma) sound switch?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

xian ?

Last edited:

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
You don't need a switch if it's not a cab.

Do jamma boards usually have a hardware dipswitch to access bios/test menu? or is it all through the jamma connector?

I have a unibios so I am set for mvs in that area.

MKL -
Can you expand on the not needing a stereo switch if it isn't a cab? My sound goes supergun->scart switch audio out->composite switch(just audio)-> stereo receiver -> speakers. If that matters.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
MKL -
Can you expand on the not needing a stereo switch if it isn't a cab? My sound goes supergun->scart switch audio out->composite switch(just audio)-> stereo receiver -> speakers. If that matters.

Jamma 10 to scart 2 (or the red jack) and Jamma L to scart 6 (or the white jack). With Jamma boards it'll give dual mono, with MVS stereo. No need for a switch.

dragonpt

Over Top Auto Mechanic
10 Year Member
well im using an home made supergun i maded (2 years ago), so i dont need a switch stero/mono if using an supergun?

i read, that without the switch , sending an ground ( - ) signal to the tv speakers, could cause them to blow up?

confused right now...