MVS to computer monitor

ISODee

Armored Scrum Object
Hi! How can I plug my MVS with supergun RGB scart output to my old computer (tube)monitor (vga input)

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
If the monitor can go down as low as 15.75 kHz, you dont need anything, just connect the red green and blue to the right pins, and then the sync to the H pin.

ISODee

Armored Scrum Object
No I need the converter! So I have MV-1FZ mobo so there should be connectors to the converter? And Im using PC power supply so how should I power the vga converter?

NEO-GEO man

What power does the VGA converter require? What ever it asks for, is what you should feed it.

I would guess itll want either 5v DC, 9v DC, or 12v DC. If youre using an ATX power supply, you wont need to worry about the current requirements, the ATX should deliver more than enough.

You need to connect the RGB-S connections as well as the ground connection to the 15.75kHz input on the converter. How you do that is up to you, here is a pinout of the MVS edge connector: http://www.hardmvs.com/manuals/Jamma2NeoGeo4SlotPinout.pdf

ISODee

Armored Scrum Object
Well im not sure did I understand what you ment but I will order the converter now and ask more help when Im got it.
Oh and yeah Im using ATX power supply!

Last edited:

NEO-GEO man

Sorry about that, what i mean is using that pinout there in that link, you need to connect the 3 colours, and connect the sync and ground to where they go on the converter.

Someone else may be able to put it a better way for you, that is about the only way i can think to say it

mmmonkey

Quiz Detective
That converter needs 5v at 2amp. It comes with a cable you can use to make an adapter from your ATX PSU if you add a molex connector to it. It also comes with a video input cable that you could wire to the supergun (depending on what connectors your supergun has - has it got screw terminals for RGBS as well as an RGB scart socket?)

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
mv1b1-realpowerreqs.jpg

That's the real power requirements for both the upscaler and a mv1b: just 1.21 amps.
The cart on the pic is a bootleg with newer chips, so a legit cart with high meg count and old toshiba roms should waste more power.
Maybe the pic help you. I don't need a supergun since I use the jamma edge signals to feed the upscaler.

Last edited:

ISODee

Armored Scrum Object
so I solder the connector to my supergun and thats all? sounds good... Just ordered the converter. Whats that power adapter to the converter in the picture?

Last edited:

ISODee

Armored Scrum Object
Got the converter and I need to know where to connect those wires? R,G,B I know its the colour edges but where the rest goes?

mmmonkey

Quiz Detective
Just need to connect Sync and GND. If it's like my one, use the grey sync wire that is next to the RGB wires - connect it to Sync on the Jamma connector, ignore the yellow sync wire. connect the black Ground wire to any of the GND points on the Jamma connector.

ISODee

Armored Scrum Object
Got it almost working... Theres just one little problem the screen flickers a bit? any idea what might cause it?

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
Got it almost working... Theres just one little problem the screen flickers a bit? any idea what might cause it?

Yes, it's normal the first time you turn it on.
Just let pressed the "auto" button for 5-10 seconds.

mmmonkey

Quiz Detective
Yes, it's normal the first time you turn it on.
Just let pressed the "auto" button for 5-10 seconds.

Oooh, I forgot about this. My MVS did this also, and I spent days on and off trying to sort it, until I remembered to hold the auto button for a few seconds to get it to adjust.

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
Does your unit shows these annoying chinese letters whenever you turn it on? I've tried to avoid them with key combinations before turning it on, but no luck.
It has also a mysterious software upgrade connector.