Making Button holes

BigNick

Kula's Candy
I'm trying to make a six button setup. The control panel is metal.. So i'm using a hole saw for metal but the drill has a slight wobble to it so the hole is ever so much bigger than the button and the are falling through even with the washer on them. What should i do? What sixe hole saw do i need- I'll buy a new one. I was using 1 + 1/4 maybe i need just 1?

[ August 31, 2002: Message edited by: BigNick ]</p>

RATM

Zack de la Neo,
get a new sheet of metal is all I can think of, but there may be way to save it

BigNick

Kula's Candy
Looks like I need 1 + 1/8. Now I have to figure out if the control panel can be salvaged or if I'm just going to make a wood one? I'm thinking a washer will take up the room but the buttons are so close together the washer wont work. Oh well, Teaches me not to rush into things :-(

[ September 03, 2002: Message edited by: BigNick ]</p>

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Stencil the hole, drill quater inch pilot holes around the form, take out the metal slug (excuse the pun) then file to size.
Its easy :)

[ September 01, 2002: Message edited by: ttooddddyy ]</p>

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Stencil the hole, drill quater inch holes around the form, take out the melal slug (excuse the pun) then file to size.
Its easy :)

PLEASE EXCUSE THIS DOUBLE POST< MY DIAL UP CONNECTION IS SLOW

[ August 31, 2002: Message edited by: ttooddddyy ]</p>

Robert Wallace

Sieger's Squire
If you get a new sheet of metal I would suggest first drilling a pilot hole and before you drill with your 1 1/8" hole saw "Place the metal on top of a sheet of 3/4" Plywood that will help you out alot!

When you go to buy a new hole saw... I would suggest buying a Sterret Brand "BiMetal" 1 and 1/8" hole saw! Sterret is expensive but it is the best your money can buy.... I think you can buy just the holesaw without the arbor for around $12.00 ;)

Most Good Hardware Stores will carry that namebrand. Remember you only get what you pay for.

BigNick

Kula's Candy
Yeah, I got the bi-metal hole saw, Just the wrong size :-( Now I will be making a new control panel from wood Just cuz its easy to cut to size. Should be fun :-D

[ September 03, 2002: Message edited by: BigNick ]</p>

Asure

Captain Dick,
I can recommend a dremel tool for not too thick metal. And some drill/file bits :)

- Alex