What's better RGB or VGA

sonofx51

If you're even THINKING about TRADING with this us
What's going to give a better picture for my Neo, or say my DC, or PSX?

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Well, what's good for one is not necessarily good for the other. The Neo Geo was made to be played on a Low Resolution Monitor, and will look blocky and jagged on a higher res VGA monitor (Even though I have seen a few at medium res and they looked alright). A Dreamcast on the other hand would greatly benefit from the higher resolution VGA monitor... so as you see, it is really going to be a per system thing, unless you can live with the jaggies on the Neo Geo.

-Nick

mliu92

n00b
From what I can tell the question is kinda misleading ... there are really four ways to transmit video signals, in order of worst to best:

1. RF
    is what your old 2600 will put out - it mixes the video signal with the audio and sends it into the antenna jack on your TV. Cheap and cheerful - but not of the highest quality (all kinds of interference issues, especially if your cable is poorly shielded/overly long - it begins to act as an antenna on its own & picks up motor noise, etc.)
  2. Composite
    is the general standard for lo-fi applications, like the NES's upgraded output - it separates the video signal from the audio; you'll need a video input jack (probably RCA) on your TV/VCR to use this. It's much better than RF, but there are some problems with dot crawl/color bleeding.
  3. S-Video (Luma/Chroma)
    is pretty much the best that most consumer-level products will offer in the US, as our NTSC TVs don't generally offer SCART inputs; here the video signal is separated into brightness (Luma) and color (Chroma) information. If you're handy enough with a soldering iron, you can build a cable for a S-Video input to an old Commodore 1702 monitor. The picture is nice and clean by now ... but there's even better of course ...
  4. RGB/Component
    is what you'll find on most high-end gear nowadays. The video signal is separated into either red/green/blue components (each line with its own intensity and hue) or color difference values (I hear the reason was because one of the RGB signals - I think it was Green - took up a LOT of bandwith ... may be just rumor tho). Arcade and computer monitors generally have RGB hookups but there's a difference here of course ...
    [/list=a]

Both arcade and VGA monitors use RGB, but the difference is in how fast they paint the screen. Arcade monitors (in the US and Japan, at least) support an NTSC refresh rate of appox 15.7 KHz whereas VGA monitors, in order to support higher, flicker-free resolutions, refresh at 50KHz and higher. Generally in order to display pre-Dreamcast console RGB on a VGA monitor, you have to buy a separate upscan converter to change the refresh rate of the signal.

------------------
    Cheers - Mike

sonofx51

If you're even THINKING about TRADING with this us
Very well explained. Thank you very much.