Dumb supergun questions

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I'll keep this short and to the point:

1) Where do I connect Mono Audio negative (-)? To ground? (Audio + goes to the RCA jacks)

2) On the Neo-Geo controller port pinout there is +5v located on pin 8. What does this signal do on the joypad side of things? Does it power the controller? If so, how do I incorporate it into a custom controller?

3) Is there any real difference between metal film and metal oxide resistors? Which would be better to use for audio attenuation?

4) What's the difference between MVS Test and JAMMA Test? Do I need both of them for a Supergun?

Those are the only questions I can think of at the moment. I may yet add more later. Thanks to whomever can answer my dumb questions! :D

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
Ground is ground.

Its for the version 2 joystick

The % of tollerance.

Depends what youre using the supergun for, and what the terminal does on the other standard, without me looking i cant tell.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Speaker - is not ground. You need to build an attenuated circuit to use amplified audio on a TV.

How do you plan to use the +5v in the custom controller.

MVS test is for multislots as most single slots are jamma pinout. I usually wire both.

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
Look on the underside of the MVS boards though, all the headphone jacks are connected to the ground plane, which is what i thought he means.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Speaker - is not ground. You need to build an attenuated circuit to use amplified audio on a TV.

I have the attenuation circuit instructions, but there's no mention of Speaker negative. I'm green when it comes to sound related things, so please explain things. What does Speaker - connect to?!

How do you plan to use the +5v in the custom controller.

I have no clue. Me thinks try testing with a couple of wires on buttons and the joystick.

... Um, taking a wire and connecting a controller port function to ground will turn it on, right?

MVS test is for multislots as most single slots are jamma pinout. I usually wire both.

Ok, thanks. This means I should probably swap around a couple of my switches then (personal matter). In fact, I don't even need MVS Test, because I have a single slot board.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I have the attenuation circuit instructions, but there's no mention of Speaker negative. I'm green when it comes to sound related things, so please explain things. What does Speaker - connect to?!

It doesn't connect to anything if you are doing a mono circuit. You only need it if you plan on doing a stereo attenuated circuit.

I have no clue. Me thinks try testing with a couple of wires on buttons and the joystick.

... Um, taking a wire and connecting a controller port function to ground will turn it on, right?

The +5v isn't used for signals. The signals are activated when they are connected via a button to ground, that tells the jamma board that button is being pressed. The +5v you can use to power things in your custom controller like a Toodles controller board, LEDs and other devices. For the buttons it is just signal wire on one tab and ground on the other per button.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
It doesn't connect to anything if you are doing a mono circuit. You only need it if you plan on doing a stereo attenuated circuit.

Thank you! Now I don't have to worry about that. Yes I'm doing a mono circuit for compatibility.

Quick question though, how do I do a stereo attenuated circuit? Do I need two DPST On - on switches? Or do I need a 4PDT On - On switch or something like that?

The +5v isn't used for signals. The signals are activated when they are connected via a button to ground, that tells the jamma board that button is being pressed. The +5v you can use to power things in your custom controller like a Toodles controller board, LEDs and other devices. For the buttons it is just signal wire on one tab and ground on the other per button.

Again, thank you very much for the peace of mind. I was worried my controllers wouldn't work. They are being converted from different systems (they work on serial) but the buttons and joystick have two connections. I figured they were signal and ground. Simple enough. Only way to tell I guess is to test them on my Supergun when it's finished, or on a Sega Genesis.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The one I use is a mono/stereo switch that always attenuated. You only need a single SPST toggle switch (on-on) and some resistors.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Ya that is weird. 1 & 3 are outputs, 2 & 6 are the inputs. I'd just cut the traces and put them on the right pins.

rolins

n00b
Good, for a moment I thought I was wrong. I was wondering why sound is okay from the phono jack but I get no audio through scart. I've been in contact with the builder and he strongly believes in using Pins 1 and 3. Gonna reply back to him and set it straight. Thanks.