KOF95 releases on Japanese PSN Store. other region versions to come!

saner

Krauser's Henchman
Yay! KOF95 releases on Japan PSN Store (shouldn't be long before other regions get it too)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9HY_zgztYI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zilx60pjm6U

This will help many people out there who haven't played KOF before, and also try out characters like Billy on PS3 to learn how they played back then.

And I guess the community can agree that these KOF arcade perfect ports will also technically promote KOFXIII further in the process. :)

KOF94 has great features and options, I'm sure KOF95 will be similiar in quality.
(well as for netcode, not expecting an upgrade but it's still fun regardless, occasionally, I still get some KOF94 online matches without noticable lag, so its bearable if both players have good connection. )

Good thing I have SDTV for original fullscreen 4:3 aspect ratio! :)

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Eagerly awaiting Samurai Shodown 2.

I hope they edit the region censorship thing. I want English text with red blood.

And they should really fix the slowdowns in MS1 with an update.

Chunky Lover 53

Fio's Quartermaster
The JP PSN also got Base Ball Stars2. I must say haveing the option for scanlines for the PSN Neo Geo ports make them the best yet.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
And they should really fix the slowdowns in MS1 with an update.

Try the Metal Slug Anthology. It's the only way I'll play Metal Slug 2 these days, although I still prefer the other slugs on actual hardware.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Try the Metal Slug Anthology. It's the only way I'll play Metal Slug 2 these days, although I still prefer the other slugs on actual hardware.

I've been saying this ever since Anthology came out.

Call me a heretic but that is the best version of 2, hands down. It makes X moot.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
I disagree, sucks if the ps3 metal slug 1 has bad slowdown... but metal slug 1 on the ps2 metal slug anthology has disgusting input delay.

I won't argue about slug 2 as I haven't played that one as much, but anthology is definitely not one of the better ways to play slug1 IMO. You won't notice the delay if your the kinda player who credit feeds and is just casually trying to blow shit up, but if you wanna dodge bullets, time jumps and basically not die, the ps2 anthology metal slug 1 sucks.

EDIT: That being said as far as i can tell slug 3,4,5 and 6 are all okay ports and make the collection still worth owning.

Last edited:

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
In my case, MS1 in the Anthology collection was unplayable. I read some copies had it worse than others. It could also be due to me playing it on PS3, if that may have any effect on it. But the input delay was as much as nearly half a second.

saner

Krauser's Henchman
as expected, coming to N.A. tommorrow!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/07/17/the-drop-week-of-july-18th-2011-new-releases/

that blog must have really screwed up, because it isn't a PS1 port. Some fools are starting to believe that just because of that KOF95 PS1 image.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9HY_zgztYI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8q187auhCI

But it's a Neo Geo Station release, so just knocking out the rumors about PS1 port. It's the arcade version with NeoGeo Station features.

Last edited:

saner

Krauser's Henchman
What's a Mini? Sorry, is that like a different portable thing that can play games, or they are just called that because they are super ancient games?

I see Athena and Ikari Warriors. Are those playable on PS3?

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Low-budget and cheap downloadable games that can be played on both PS3 and PSP.

Kim Kaphwan

Member,
20 Year Member
If Ikari Warriors is anywhere near the greatness as it was on the arcade or nes, it's an instant buy.

saner

Krauser's Henchman
Low-budget and cheap downloadable games that can be played on both PS3 and PSP.

oh thanks! Wow this could be the first chance to play arcade perfect version of Athena on console! I wonder if it allows infinite credits? well even with that, it's like one of the hardest arcade games ever. xD
oh I wonder if minis incude the arcade manual and artwork similiar to the Neo Geo Station game manuals.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I'll be picking up BB Stars 2. Nice.

And yes, where the hell is Samurai Shodown 2?

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Just tried Ikari Warriors and Guerrilla Wars.

Not sure if this issue is common with Mini's, but the sound volume was very low. You can simply increase the speakers' sound volume and it will be normal.

Emulation seemed tight. Almost on the same quality level of the Neo-Geo Station titles. No software manuals though. Here are some of the available options that I can remember:

- Save / Load progress (you can use this feature at any point in the game)
- Screen Stretched / Normal: The stretched screen option removes the wallpaper background and fits the display to your TV's screen. The fit is vertically only, so the display x/y ratio stays the same.
- Number of Lives + Allowing Continues (Guerrilla Wars has a difficulty option too)
- Controls: you can't assign the controls to the R2 & L2 triggers, so you can't use them for rotating. R1 & L1 can be used, and they are the default buttons for rotating.
- Manual / Auto Aim: you can either use the default arcade controls with rotating, or normal aiming like in the NES ports.

Nice ports overall, but the $3 price is a bit high, especially if you plan to buy multiple games.

saner

Krauser's Henchman
okay call me crazy but 9 out of 10 times, KOF95 has no noticable lag online. It feels like the netcode is improved. There was even someone with red or yellow connection and the gameplay was silky smooth. KOF95 is more awesome than I remember it! They also added some adjustments. Now the online menus displays players PSN ID image side by side before the session starts, gameplay automatically returns to character select after a match (no need to press start every time like KOF94.) and when you or the player leaves, you can select from a list of pre-set messages to send to the other player (like "it was fun playing with you", "I will win next time." and stuff like that.) The KOF94 features of being able to play arcade/normal mode while hosting/searching for players is still intact. :) And also there is a network feature that lets you see the online status of hosted rooms across also Neo Geo Station games (not sure how often it refreshes, but it might be somewhat useful.) great matches online!

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Hmm good to hear KO95 has turned out good for the PS3.

Btw has any body tried Baseball Stars 2 yet ?

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
okay call me crazy but 9 out of 10 times, KOF95 has no noticable lag online. It feels like the netcode is improved. There was even someone with red or yellow connection and the gameplay was silky smooth. KOF95 is more awesome than I remember it! They also added some adjustments. Now the online menus displays players PSN ID image side by side before the session starts, gameplay automatically returns to character select after a match (no need to press start every time like KOF94.) and when you or the player leaves, you can select from a list of pre-set messages to send to the other player (like "it was fun playing with you", "I will win next time." and stuff like that.) The KOF94 features of being able to play arcade/normal mode while hosting/searching for players is still intact. :) And also there is a network feature that lets you see the online status of hosted rooms across also Neo Geo Station games (not sure how often it refreshes, but it might be somewhat useful.) great matches online!

You're crazy. It's not bad considering, but there is still lag. Feels kinda like 02UM on xbox live for me (which isn't too bad). However when the matched screw up they REALLY screw up. It went from great to completely unplayable for me.

saner

Krauser's Henchman
Well have you tried different players/connections? It honesty feels like they made a step forward with the netcode. Or maybe the 5 players I played with just so happened to have great compatible connections.

Kaioh

Sakura's Bank Manager
Just tried Ikari Warriors and Guerrilla Wars.

Not sure if this issue is common with Mini's, but the sound volume was very low. You can simply increase the speakers' sound volume and it will be normal.

Emulation seemed tight. Almost on the same quality level of the Neo-Geo Station titles. No software manuals though. Here are some of the available options that I can remember:

- Save / Load progress (you can use this feature at any point in the game)
- Screen Stretched / Normal: The stretched screen option removes the wallpaper background and fits the display to your TV's screen. The fit is vertically only, so the display x/y ratio stays the same.
- Number of Lives + Allowing Continues (Guerrilla Wars has a difficulty option too)
- Controls: you can't assign the controls to the R2 & L2 triggers, so you can't use them for rotating. R1 & L1 can be used, and they are the default buttons for rotating.
- Manual / Auto Aim: you can either use the default arcade controls with rotating, or normal aiming like in the NES ports.

Nice ports overall, but the $3 price is a bit high, especially if you plan to buy multiple games.

These "Minis" are just the games ripped from the SNK Classics Vol. 0 that was released for PSP in Japan. Instead of releasing the PSP disc, they are releasing each game individually for $3 each. The only good thing about this is that since they are "minis" now, you can play them on your PS3 as well.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
These "Minis" are just the games ripped from the SNK Classics Vol. 0 that was released for PSP in Japan. Instead of releasing the PSP disc, they are releasing each game individually for $3 each. The only good thing about this is that since they are "minis" now, you can play them on your PS3 as well.

Yup, and the Vol. 0 collection wasn't announced in the US, so this isn't a bad alternative.

Anyone knows how can I play these in local 2-players mode btw? We tried to hit the start button in controller 2, but nothing happened. We just noticed that player 1 can be controlled by both controllers, so wtf?

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Just one question... Can you play the game with arranged NGCD soundtrack?

Seriously, why hasn't SNK made this an option on all Neo Geo releases other than a few PS2 releases? This way, you get the best of both NGCD and NGH/MVS Cart.

saner

Krauser's Henchman
no NGCD soundtrack.

I talked to some people and they agree the KOF95 netcode is definitely improved over KOF94!