What is with the dents on top of MS3 MVS carts?

B

Bobak!

Every eBay auction I've seen for Metal Slug 3 MVS has a picture of the cart with two gashes on either side of the words "Metal SLug 3" -what is with that? Every one.

Are they copies? Or were they opened up to make bootlegs? Someone? Anyone?

Here's a few examples: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=547465564
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=547872680

This one doesn't, but its a clear cart (therefore you can see if the insides are SNK). Does that make it the legit copy and the other ones fakes?
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=547421993

THanks,
Bobak!

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Those are the gashes where the serial numbers were removed. I had two Metal Slug 3 carts and both came exactly like that. I am not sure why these were removed but it is the same story on a lot of MVS games. Maybe whoever sold them was not supposed to, or... they were stolen... who knows. They are not bootlegs though, I have opened both of mine and everything was 100% offical. I might add that both carts were also in new condition and were never used, but these serials were removed.

-Nick

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Also, the older MS3 was Clear, but the new ones are Black... again this does not mean they are boots... just different casing. If you want to know for sure... open every game
smile.gif
I was lucky, the only games I have boots of are ones I do not care too much about, or have a dups of. But I know a lot of other people have been getting burned lately.

B

Bobak!

Wow, prompt replies! Thanks Nick, we gotta go and get coffee sometime
smile.gif

SmokeYa

Crossed Swords Squire
Nruva is correct. Those gashes are from removing the serial numbers. Many MVS games make their way to the US through Hong Kong. For some reason, the distributors in Hong Kong remove the serial numbers before selling them. I asked one distributer why they remove the serial numbers and if the carts were bootlegs. The distributer stated that the carts are authentic, but they removed the serial numbers "to protect themselves". This doesn't make much sense to me, but I've seen many paranoid business practices like that in Hong Kong.

But anyway, I've checked all carts that I ever came across with missing serial numbers and they are indeed authentic. It is unfortunate that the HK distributers feel they have to remove the serial numbers. It seems that the two biggest cart victims are Metal Slug 3 and Mark of the Wolves.

That Metal Slug 3 cart in my auction is practically in mint condition except for the tears in the label. But now I can not claim it as being "mint" because of those tears.

------------------
SmokeYa

ss2_hanzolaff.gif

SmokeYa

Crossed Swords Squire
Btw, if you look carefully, you can see that the serial number was also removed in your last example of the clear cart. See the black line to the right of Metal Slug 3?

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Originally posted by Bobak!:
Wow, prompt replies! Thanks Nick, we gotta go and get coffee sometime
smile.gif

Sure Bobak, just give me a call sometime
smile.gif

PrOzErG

Sacrifice is pleasure, , ,
SNK METAL SLUG 3 MVS CASSETTE.CASSETTE WHY THE FUCK ARE SOME PPL CALLING CARTS "CASSETTE" ?????? BUGS ME BAD CAN SOME ONE TELL ME WHY THEY CALL CARTS CASSETTE!!!!!

------------------
kof97_ryujinyamazakilaff.gif

YOU DONT LIKE ME? "THEN FUCK OFF"

B

Bobak!

Very true.

That clear cart does show a gash as well.

HK, man... What is with the folks over there! The new police from the PRC motherland must be making them more nervous.

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
It's just for word variety if you ask me. Why use "cart" all the time when "cartridge," "cassette," and anything else one wishes to use are available? At any rate they are known as cassettes in Japan, even if nowhere else.

NeoGML

Fighting Artist
yea prozerg, don't spazz about things like that to make conversation. That's gay in the pants.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I was thinking it is referred to a 'cassette' because of the big bulky 8-track cassette.The person probably grew up in the era of it's popularity.
brhead5.gif