What does the button "DEGAUSS" mean?

KaedesBlade

Bead Banger
What happens if I press the "DEGAUSS" button inside my cab?

[ August 29, 2002: Message edited by: KaedesBlade ]</p>

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I have a degauss button on my PC Monitor. I think it just clears any static or magnetic build up in the screen. Makes for a pretty cool screen effect though!

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
You will "Degauss" the monitor... basicly it runs magnents along the screen and removes any color bleed from magnetic sources (you know that purple dot you see on the bottom of TVs sometimes, or the effect you get by pulling a magnet around a TV screen). Basicly it just cleans up the picture if there are any dead spots.

-Nick

KaedesBlade

Bead Banger
Originally posted by nruva:
<strong>You will "Degauss" the monitor... basicly it runs magnents along the screen and removes any color bleed from magnetic sources (you know that purple dot you see on the bottom of TVs sometimes, or the effect you get by pulling a magnet around a TV screen). Basicly it just cleans up the picture if there are any dead spots.

-Nick</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks for the info. So I can press it any time when its on?

[ August 29, 2002: Message edited by: KaedesBlade ]</p>

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
Originally posted by KaedesBlade:
<strong>

Thanks for the info. So I can press it any time when its on?

[ August 29, 2002: Message edited by: KaedesBlade ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yep.

All it does is demagnitize the screen. When CRT displays are left on for long periods of time they will build up a magnetic field which will cause visible distorion and/or discoloration of the image. Degaussing will purge this magnetic build-up. Generally, the larger the screen, the more it will need degaussing.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
yea, i wish my monitor had one :(

its still all purpley on the left side.

i wanna get a degaussing coil, but i dont have $50 to spend on one.

on a side note, my monitor has a place to plug in a built in degauss coil (basically all they are are really thick wires with minimal insulation) but im too much of a pansy to hook one up. i'm afraid i'll blow it up. :(