Buy a Cab or Build your own Super Gun??

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
I want to make the leap form NGH to MVS, but I'm wondering which would be the best way to accomplish this. On the one hand I can buy an Neo 29 cab from Arcade Infinity for $615 or I could build my own super gun. My question is, in the long run, which would I be better off with? If I buy the Cab I don't have to wire anything but I'm stuck with the Cab the way it is. If I build my own Super Gun I have total control over everything but I could be more expensive to put together than buying the cab. Any advice???

Yagami

candycab

Vice's Love Slave
Depends on what you prefer to play on ?

Cabs are very simple to keep maintained and arent really expensive maintenance wise.

But building a supergun could be alot of fun too.

Me I prefer the whole cabinet feel and dont care for superguns , arcade games just dont feel right on a tv from your couch, but thats just me.

For me half of the fun of playing any arcade game is the presentation the cabinet brings to the game.

Bye the way ShiftyFlink makes some really kick ass mini marquees !

[ December 19, 2002: Message edited by: candycab ]</p>

Michael Yagami

Ok, I figure I'll go the MVS route. I found this NEO 29 Candy Cab at Arcade Infinity
jc03.jpg

My question now is are the Neo 29 Cabs a good choice, and what kind of board do they typically have (2, 4, 6)?

Yagami

Shiftyfink

Geese's Thug
I don't know much about the Candy's. If I could get some on the East Coast it would be nice. Anyway, from what I do know they do NOT come with any board.

candycab

Vice's Love Slave
I got my SC-19 form Jeff at arcade infinity and they are good people to deal with.

They dont come with a board , but Im sure if he has one he will sell it to you , try Mike at <a href="http://www.mdgamesales.com" target="_blank">www.mdgamesales.com</a> he is a very reputible seller in the neo community , he may have a board or 2 left as he is getting out of the MVS market unless its a new release.

Dont pay more than about 200.00 for a four or 6 slot and no more than 80.00 to 120.00 for a single , maybe a tad more for a 2 slot.

Checkout <a href="http://www.hardocp.com" target="_blank">www.hardocp.com</a> throughly so you know what you are looking at board wise before you do your buying.

Oops ! yes thanks Flink I did mean <a href="http://www.hardmvs.com" target="_blank">www.hardmvs.com</a> lol

So only go to hard ocp for kick ass generall tech and pc stuff !

[ December 20, 2002: Message edited by: candycab ]</p>

Shiftyfink

Geese's Thug
Hardocp is a really great sight....

I think you ment <a href="http://www.hardmvs.com" target="_blank">www.hardmvs.com</a>

:)

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Quote..by candycab

For me half of the fun of playing any arcade game is the presentation the cabinet brings to the game.

Well said.
That's the way I feel too.

Nothing beats having your own Cab..

SNKFreak

Banned
Having a cab would be really nice and authentic, but I completely prefer the MVS console. It's very easy to build, and you can hook it up to a big ass TV and a really nice stereo. Easier to change carts, no maintenance, and with some creativity it can look very nice. Also, you have complete control of what it's made out of, so there's nothing in there you didnt ask for. And it's always upgradeable, draws less current, and best of all, the project itself is extremely fun and addicting. Once you're done building you'll want to start over and build a second.

As beautiful as MVS cabs are, I don't think they can match up do a well made MVS console in terms of versitility and creativity.

In the end, you already have an AES, so I say go with the MVS cab (threw my previous paragraph out the window there :D ) that way you get the best of both worlds.

Asure

Captain Dick,
Well, if money and space is not a problem, i would go for the cabinet. Then again, if you are slightly good at electronics and soldering, you can throw together a cheap supergun in about a day for under $50.

- Alex

Rigel

The Ultimate 11
Originally posted by Michael Yagami:
<strong>If I build my own Super Gun I have total control over everything but I could be more expensive to put together than buying the cab.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think that would have to be a pretty damn nice supergun to cost more than the cabinet price you mention. I put one together with a Two-Bit NTSC converter for about $150 (the video converter cost me like $85). Actually, it probably cost me less than $150. I'm quite happy with it, simply because it's more moveable. I'd love to have a cabinet, but I don't think I'll ever have one unless I can have a "game room" in my house. And I don't make that kind of money.

Michael Yagami

Originally posted by Spectre:
<strong>Nobody has mentioned the other possibility... building your own cab.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I've actually considdered that. Would I need to buy an RGB monitor? Or would I be able to line it out to a conventional TV?? Would I have to build my own controller for my super gun or can you set it up like an NGH deck in regards to the controllers??

Yagami

Rigel

The Ultimate 11
Originally posted by Michael Yagami:
<strong>

I've actually considdered that. Would I need to buy an RGB monitor? Or would I be able to line it out to a conventional TV?? Would I have to build my own controller for my super gun or can you set it up like an NGH deck in regards to the controllers??

Yagami</strong><hr></blockquote>

You could use a TV, but you'd need the RGB converter, unless you get a TV with SCART or something.

And if you made a supergun, you can definately wire it to use the NGH controllers. The controller parts are the 2nd most expensive part to a supergun (not including a PCB), so you'd theoretically save some bucks using the normal Neo ones.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Go mvs, you will not regret it.
If you have tech hicups you will get support here.

Check this out <a href="http://www.arcadecontrols.com/arcade.htm" target="_blank">http://www.arcadecontrols.com/arcade.htm</a>

[ December 21, 2002: Message edited by: ttooddddyy ]</p>