KOF XIII Hits iPhones

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Fucking gorgeous. I'm picking it up as soon as I see it.

Rig

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Guess I'll pick it up, if/when it shows up.

If it hits Installous first, I'll get it that way.

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
It should be up on the U.S. iTunes store sometime between now and tomorrow. :)

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
That's fucking badass. Virtual joystick and buttons still = bad idea, though.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I'm going to wait for some player reviews and a possible price drop. I did pick up Deathsmiles for 5 bucks though. Played through half of the arcade mode and two stages of the iPhone mode and it's pretty damn good.

Curt

apostate
I LOVE IT!

OUT OF FUCKING NOWHERE!

HIGH POWERED DESPERATION MOVE BY SNK-P!!!!!!!!!!!

(downloading now)

$7.99 - I believe normal price is going to go up to $10.99

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Man, this DOES look kinda cool. SNK (and Capcom, for that matter) shows no love for the Android market, though:(

Curt

apostate
Played it for about an hour.

19nwo8.jpg

This is a full featured game, with all the playmodes, galleries, tutorials, and extras youd expect from a console release. So the high price is warranted.

It is MINDBLOWING to me that we would once see a major King of Fighters title ported FIRST to a cellphone!

Make no mistake about it, this is KOFXIII. Albeit very gimped. The High Res Sprites have obviously been downgraded. The CPU AI is borderline retarded (even on hard mode). If I don't do anything they will just sit there bouncing around the screen not even attacking. The specials system is somewhat ridiculous. You actually tap the special gauge, and then tap the characters face during a super ex to do a super ex neo cancel. This is fine, but you have to completely alter the way you hold the device. It's bizarre.

I played on iPad and the joystick was HUGE, enormous, way too big. I think there definately needs to be a way to shrink it in a update.

The animations seemed all in tact and at a high framerate, and were still quite nice, but not full-res glory. Also the Backgrounds are a major disapointment. They are absolutely static and just a screenshot/frame of the actual stage. Not even 1 or 2 frames of animation. Honestly Street Fighter 2 had more dynamic backgrounds. I feel this is a copout. I know memory is at a premium, but this is cheap.

The game is one of the best 2D fighters on the iPhone. But I doubt will be a good introduction to the series for new players, and is a subpar way to experience KOFXIII for the first time. Overall a valiant effort, and I'm glad they did it. But there are definate areas for improvement hopefully through updates. (SNK-P are you reading this?)

Last edited:

lions3

Igniz's Servent
Two thumbs up from me. Only had a few minutes to play last night but so far really loving it.

@Curt - Yeah, wish you could resize the joystick but at least you can go into the options and move the buttons around.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
I have the fling (http://tenonedesign.com/fling.php) but don't really like it. The surface of stick is too smooth and I have to fight to keep my thumb from sliding off. Maybe it just needs a little sanding.

That silver joystick looks interesting. Post some feedback if you get it :)

Fett

Camel Slug
I wouldn't support this at all!

The team that made KOF XIII all walked from SNK-P, and they're getting nothing out of this bastardization of their hard work. Shitty cell phone games and ports of old games are the the way of SNK-P now, and I'm not willing to support this. I'll pick up the normal port of KOF XIII this winter, but that's only because it's probably the last full SNK game that was developed by people that had any talent in the Japanese game industry. Paying any amount for this trite piece of crap is the same as saying "Yes SNK-P, please keep shoveling shit down my throat!"

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member

The team that made KOF XIII all walked from SNK-P, and they're getting nothing out of this bastardization of their hard work. Shitty cell phone games and ports of old games are the the way of SNK-P now, and I'm not willing to support this.
Blah blah blah whine whine bitch shut the fuck up.

See4

n00b
Wow, I was off the forum for two days, and KOFXIII is already on iphone?!?! Fuck yeah.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member

The team that made KOF XIII all walked from SNK-P, and they're getting nothing out of this bastardization of their hard work. Shitty cell phone games and ports of old games are the the way of SNK-P now, and I'm not willing to support this. I'll pick up the normal port of KOF XIII this winter, but that's only because it's probably the last full SNK game that was developed by people that had any talent in the Japanese game industry. Paying any amount for this trite piece of crap is the same as saying "Yes SNK-P, please keep shoveling shit down my throat!"
Uhhh link please

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
There's a little too much gay going on right now.

I can feel it in my pants.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
http://dreamcancel.com/?p=472

http://www.neoempire.com/?p=6081

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6286721/snk-playmore-staying-in-the-game?tag=result;title;0

I'm glad they can still produce the extra goodies they have came up with so far for the home release.

After seeing how catiously the KOFXIII home port is being treated, and checking out their Neo-Geo station PSN games and how well they have been ported (compared to the shitty ports and collections that we used to get before), I rest assured that SNK is in better hands with their new president.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Well that says it all really doesn't it.

Kernow-dude! Where have you been!

I wrote you a PM I was coming nearby London..., anyway nevermind that, I think it was in March. :mr_t: