cab speakers question

mr aize

Dodgeball Yakuza
Been struggling to find info on what speakers to put in a cab i'm building. It's gonna be jamma so assuming I don't need an amp. Found these on ebay an was just wondering if they'd be suitable

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100mm-4in...Elec_SpeakersPASystems_RL&hash=item1e64301ef3

Want it to be loud but obviously don't want to burn anything out. Only info i've been able to find was in a mortal kombat manual which says the cab had 25w 4ohm speakers so figured these'd be pretty safe..

Already asked on build your own arcade controls forum but had no responses so though i'd ask here... Just incase anyone sees the double post an wonders;)

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
Been struggling to find info on what speakers to put in a cab i'm building. It's gonna be jamma so assuming I don't need an amp. Found these on ebay an was just wondering if they'd be suitable

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100mm-4in...Elec_SpeakersPASystems_RL&hash=item1e64301ef3

Want it to be loud but obviously don't want to burn anything out. Only info i've been able to find was in a mortal kombat manual which says the cab had 25w 4ohm speakers so figured these'd be pretty safe..

Already asked on build your own arcade controls forum but had no responses so though i'd ask here... Just incase anyone sees the double post an wonders;)

Wow, they're even shielded. Those look pretty pimp to me.

mr aize

Dodgeball Yakuza
been doing more research though an now i'n not sure if they're too powerful. If the board can't deliver enough watts they'd sound crap and muffled... Speakers are well confusing!

Nightmare Tony

*Account control passed, on to Tony's family.Ex Ro
Since the sound output is either 4 or 8 watts per channel on the Neo Geo, going higher tends to be overkill.

brad_irc

Kuroko's Training Dummy

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
Thanks all. Right, massively downsizing I recon, gonna go with a pair of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-SPEAKER...eo_Games_Coin_Operated_MJ&hash=item564379499a. Only thing is it doesn't say anything about them being shielded, hopefully won't be an issue but if so, anyone got any tips on shielding?

They're definitely not shielded, you can tell from the rear pic. The shielded ones have what looks like a big can over the magnet. It houses 2 magnets inside that are placed back to back and glued together IIRC.

How close are they going to be in relation to the monitor? You only need shielded speakers if they sit right near the monitor

Yeah my Dynamo cab has 2 unshielded speakers in it and I've had no problems so far. All dynamos came that way AFAIK. I just measured and my speakers are about 5 inches above the monitor and 5 or 6 inches away from it dpeth wise.

Last edited:

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
Fuck that fucking 5 minute editing window right in its ass.

"I just measured and my speakers are about 5 inches above the monitor and 5 or 6 inches in front of it depth-wise."

mr aize

Dodgeball Yakuza
Nice one mate. Doubt i'll have any problems then. I'm building a cab based on the mortal kombat 2 midway design so the speakers will be at least 5 or more inches from the monitor.

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
Nice one mate. Doubt i'll have any problems then. I'm building a cab based on the mortal kombat 2 midway design so the speakers will be at least 5 or more inches from the monitor.

iN CASE YOU HAVEN'T SEEN, THERE'S A GUY ON YOUTUBE THAT HAS A WHOLE SERIES OF VIDEOS (oops caps) dedicated to restoring and rebuilding MK machines. :) I watched one of him drilling the MK control panel plexi.

mr aize

Dodgeball Yakuza
nice one. I'll check em out. It's been takin me quite a while to work out how to do everything as i'm on a bit of a budget an mistakes cost money.. So far got the two sides, the front, back, top an bottom panels cut an all the supports in place. Just waitin for my tmoulding cutter to turn up an then I can screw it all together... It's the fiddly bits like making the bezel and picking the speakers which are slowin me down.. Still, fun though..