Memory card help

zapr

New Challenger
Guys I have a Jap. Neo system and I recently got a memory card for it. I know that I can get to a memory card management screen by holding all buttons and hitting reset with a game in - the problem is that it is all in Japanese. How can I format it/erase everyting on it?

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
You can't. This has to do with the BIOS in your Neo. You would have to swap the BIOS chip itself for a US BIOS chip, or piggyback one onto the existing BIOS and add a switch to select between the two for an English memory card menu (or so I have been told). Also, the DEBUG BIOS will not help either: I had a Japanese Neo Geo modded with the DEBUG BIOS, and had the default language set to boot up with the USA territory. So, even though the language on my Japanese console is now English by default, the memory card menu still displays in Japanese (I was told all debug BIOS chips display a Japanese menu for the memory card). If anyone has another workaround for zapr's issue or mine, please post a reply.

zapr

New Challenger
Fact is I could probably live with the menu being in Jap if anyone could tell me what the options were -- Steel - thanks fo rbeing sympathetic

Verbatum

Rugal's Panther
I am pretty good at reading Japanese (But not perfect), and I can give you a translation of everything on the card. I'll send it when I get home from work!

------------------
"The un-examined life, is a life not worth living"

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
Originally posted by zapr:
Fact is I could probably live with the menu being in Jap if anyone could tell me what the options were -- Steel - thanks fo rbeing sympathetic

Hey, no problem. Here is the menu as originally posted by Neo Bomber Man:

Here is the memory card utility menu:

1. Card Format
2. Display Data Name
3. Copy A Data
4. Delete A Data
5. File User's Name (essentially a name tag)
6. End

...see if this helps, zapr.

-TMOSteel

Verbatum

Rugal's Panther
You got there before I did! Oh well, thanks for helping him!

------------------
"The un-examined life, is a life not worth living"

zapr

New Challenger
Hey guys THANKS A MILLION
-- its a pretty neat place when people are competing to help a person out
smile.gif