Cleaning your carts and home sys

D

DigiPunk

Any pointers on cleaning the carts and home system? I currently use small erasers for carts, and Game Gear/lynx/gamboy cleaners for cleaning the system. Any other suggestions?

------------------
Phantasy Star Online 2001.30.01
A simple formula
Phantasy Star + Sonic Team + Online = No life and no regrets.

ss2_cafnicotinestand.gif

DigiPunk - Part time Evil SNK, Full time hardcore gamer.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
whatever you do, DO NOT USE erasers they will scrath the contacts severly get artgum for cleaning pcb's and carts artgum is easily findable JUST NO ERASERS i would hate to hear your carts got damaged
frown.gif
Goodluck.

-LWK-

rstreck

Armored Scrum Object
I always use a solution of rubbing alcohol and water and clean them with a Q-tip. That has always worked for me.

Ryan

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
Originally posted by Lord Wolfgang Krauser:
whatever you do, DO NOT USE erasers they will scrath the contacts severly get artgum for cleaning pcb's and carts artgum is easily findable JUST NO ERASERS i would hate to hear your carts got damaged
frown.gif
Goodluck.

-LWK-

Erasers from an art store are fine (no pencil/no metal), and actually the preferred method for cleaning the contacts (same thing goes for contact on Modems, Sound cards, etc. in PCs). Rubbing alcohol can be too harsh, even when watered down, and can eventually damage the boards/contacts in time. If the contacts are exteamly dirty, then I could see using it, but switch to the eraser afterwards.

rstreck

Armored Scrum Object
Originally posted by Neo Bomber Man:
What about, more specifically, for the cartridge slots in the system itself?

Even though TMOSteel disagrees, a still think that a solution of rubbing alcohol and water is the best way. Get an old toothbrush and dip it in the solution and clean the cartridge slots with the toothbrush.

Ryan

[This message has been edited by rstreck (edited January 24, 2001).]

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Actually doing it wet is good... but it may cause dirt to become worse on the contacts (like on a Garou cart of mine) because they were not 100% dry when I used them again. I would recommend waiting atleast 2 hours after cleaning before playing... even the small amount of alchol used does not dry the water fast enough. Regardless, the Art-Gum will remove the hard to remove dirt (like what was left by the alchol and water solution) and is my number 1 choice. Plus, there is no drying time involved and you can see that it is actually cleaning not just making everything look shiny and wet
smile.gif
But both cleaning methods work. As for the board itself... cotton swab and the solution (used sparingly) or a tooth brush like what was mentioned above. But make sure not to use the thing for a good period of time after cleaning, not only to protect the board from damage, but to make sure the contacts don't get even dirtier from inserting the carts!

-Nick

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Wonder if I should have started a separate topic, but anyhow. My reason for wanting to clean the system, for lack of any other idea what to do, is this. Some weeks ago I began getting graphical glitches. Okay fine, I cleaned all my games, some twice, and eventually everything was back to normal. One day it happened again. The next day, when it was back being proper, I concluded that the system wanted to sit squarely on the tiles, or squarely on the carpet, not part of both. Then, about a week ago, it happened again. And let me tell you, all these times, every single game I try get these graphical glitches, and the games are clean.

The problem seems to be that pure white is turned to black, which looks really ugly, but can also make for some good laughs seeing KoF portraits of people with broken teeth, black eyes, oil all over them etc. I don't think this is the only colour that gets altered, but it's the only one I can pinpoint for now.

Since it has been recurring, I am assuming it has something to do with dirt, and is not a problem with the system. Am I correct?

Thanks,

Neo Bomberman