MVS Converter Issues

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
I recently purchased a Neo Geo MVS converter, just to play the older MVS games. I have a MVS system, but I thought I'd use it so I could use the memory card on my home cart and have the menu options. It is the kind that sits parallel to the system. When I got it, no stereo sound and the occasional loud static sound would occur. I sent it back and am getting a replacement (same kind). My question is how common are these problems? Does it happen with every parallel converter, like the one pictured on nick_th_fury's home page? Or this eBay auction http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1209601272

Thanks all!

------------------
ntm.jpg

N-T-M

[This message has been edited by NeoTurfMasta (edited January 23, 2001).]

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
I liked that convertor ok except I had to put in in a cart shell so it would play the games correctly. The problem you are experience with it could be the model of your neo (if I recall some of the neos would not give out stereo sound on those convertors) also try placing something between the NGM cart and the Neo to keep it level, sometimes that works better.

or you can just spend $300 more on the !arcade! convertor. up to you.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Yeah, I had a towl under the cart to make make it sit in the Neo slot correctly. It had no effect.

The wierd thing was, the static sound was very random. I could play a game for 10 minutes without any problem then it would make a loud static sound. And then sometimes I'd put in a game and it would do it in less then a minute.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
NeoTurfMaster,
That auction has a similar problem listed in the description. He says last blade 2 and some other games have audio problems, it may just be a problem with this design...

-Nick

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
There are several different horizontal MVS converters (3-4, I think). For ex, one can play upto 1995, and some can play upto 98. The point is, I heard that some of the models had trouble playing old games like 1992's, and had sound trouble in 95, and 98 games. So, I think it is the fault w/ the original design.

Mine is a vertical converter, and looks similiar in design as !arcades! The big diff. with this and horizontal converters is that there are no problems w/ games upto Metal Slug X (98). I think you should spend some more money and get !Arcades! converter--it's a virtually a worry free unit.

------------------
ffmw_terry.gif

"Come on, get serious!"

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Yeah I talked to the guy with the auction and we compared problems. He had a few more then me.

Well, I made a deal with the guy I bought it from and and I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt to get me a working parallel model. I wasnt aware of any problems with the parallel converters before I made this deal. If there are any newer MVS games I want to play, I'll just play it on my super gun. Thanks all for your help!

------------------
ntm.jpg

N-T-M

peterr928

Another Striker,
20 Year Member
just wondering....

does anyone have any clue on how to make a converter??? it annoys me because i want to know!!!

how woul you go about doing it?