So what was the story of the MVS release of SvC?

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
Hi all;

Got to working on my cabs today and plugged in SvC:C and was reminded of the mystery about its original MVS release.

Yes, I am too lazy to use the search feature, but I remember on the initial batch there was an intense debate on whether or not it was a legitimate release or a high quality boot and everything was gone over with a microscope. If I'm not mistaken wasn't this even more convoluted since a certain scammer was one of the first to have several of these kits for sale?

Did SNKP ever come out and clarify just what the hell went on with this, and why it was initially spoken of as a Jamma board release only and these MVS kits appeared seemingly out of nowhere?

-regards

valgalder

Kula's Candy
it was my understanding that they just ended up releasing both. I didn't think there was some conspiracy about it or anything.

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
The "scammer" in question may have been Casey McMahon (who uses the handle Japhei).
like many of the later titles released for the Neo SVC: Chaos was game code that was developed years earlier and did not see the light of day due to the problems that SNK was having back then. It was released allong with a wave of other shelved software titles/code (such as Zupapa!, NITD, Sengoku 3, and a few others) in order to bring in any potential proffit as the game code was already done and it would not take much financially for official releases.

I believe the jamma board/MVS hybrid design was something that was done both to discourage/fight piracy (or at least stave it off a bit) as well as make it a more versatile and usable title for operators as the MVS was towards the end of it's life so motherboards were not in use like they were in the 90's (especially multi slots).

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Yes, originally people thought there was no official MVS cartridge release of SVC, but that turned out to be incorrect. It may be just that the release of the MVS cartridge was delayed for some reason. The kits, which are definitely official, seemed to me to mysteriously surface only after the game had been fully distributed as a standalone PCB and on home cart. But I'm not a wholesale distributor or anything, so I could be wrong.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
I think the MVS carts were for overseas only. Domestic Japan got only the integrated PBC, IIRC.

Zellez

King's Dry Cleaner
Japhei claims it was thanks to him if the game was released as MVS cart since he paid that release with his own money.
Wether this is the truth or not I don't know.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I believe the jamma board/MVS hybrid design was something that was done both to discourage/fight piracy (or at least stave it off a bit) as well as make it a more versatile and usable title for operators
This. And it wasn't just SVC, they did the same thing with KOF 2003.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
A truly awful game, if they'd have sorted the engine out it could have been great.

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
Well, did SNKP publicily admitted releasing the SVC MVS cart in the end? As I remember, no.

It can be a high quality boot, as far as I know. Remember the high quality MS boots?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Well, did SNKP publicily admitted releasing the SVC MVS cart in the end? As I remember, no.

It can be a high quality boot, as far as I know. Remember the high quality MS boots?
No, I don't remember. But anyway, there's no chance this kit is a boot. Anyone who holds it in their hands can see that.

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
Well, anyway.

Considering how good the counterfeits are those days, I still have some doubts.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Scammer ass Japhei AKA Casey McMahon was the first to have the "official carts". To my knowledge there were a few official boards released, and Japhei nearly pissed his pants when the comparison of the labels and capacitors were presented to him. There was a black label, a blue label, and the rest escapes my memory. At the time I believe Ben Herman claimed that the majority of SVC carts AND boards were pirates. It took me a long time to hunt down an official Jamma board as a gift for a friend. I still believe that the official MVS kits were from Japhei's largely funded counterfeit project. Stick to the AES release or do your homework and find out wihich Jamma board is the real one.
When it comes to the carts, the best bet is to just buy an SVC PLUS and enjoy the game, because all these official MVS kits came out by Japhei before SNK would even acknowledge them. Nothing Official ever came close to coming out of Japhei/ZeroGunner2/Harry Potter's son's home.

Japhei has been reported to and investigated by the FBI (pre- 9-11) many times. It just sadly appears that the FBI is as lazy as Playmore is/was.

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
When it comes to the carts, the best bet is to just buy an SVC PLUS and enjoy the game, because all these official MVS kits came out by Japhei before SNK would even acknowledge them. Nothing Official ever came close to coming out of Japhei/ZeroGunner2/Harry Potter's son's home.

Seriously?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Scammer ass Japhei AKA Casey McMahon was the first to have the "official carts". To my knowledge there were a few official boards released, and Japhei nearly pissed his pants when the comparison of the labels and capacitors were presented to him. There was a black label, a blue label, and the rest escapes my memory. At the time I believe Ben Herman claimed that the majority of SVC carts AND boards were pirates. It took me a long time to hunt down an official Jamma board as a gift for a friend. I still believe that the official MVS kits were from Japhei's largely funded counterfeit project. Stick to the AES release or do your homework and find out wihich Jamma board is the real one.

Japhei has been reported to and investigated by the FBI (pre- 9-11) many times. It just sadly appears that the FBI is as lazy as Playmore is/was.
Wow, man. If your story is to believed, he did an awfully good job of mimicking the mask roms of MS5 and KOF 2003, as well as factory soldering them in there. The parts of the kit itself, including the cart label, are indistinguishable from MS5 and KOF 2003. If these are boots, they go well beyond what has been documented anywhere else. We have no reason to start calling a product that appears 100% legit fake based on heresay. Unless you have the original kit in your hands to inspect, this is just perpetuating wild rumors.

Last edited:

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Wow, man. If your story is to believed, he did an awfully good job of mimicking the mask roms of MS5 and KOF 2003, as well as factory soldering them in there. The parts of the kit itself, including the cart label, are indistinguishable from MS5 and KOF 2003. If these are boots, they go well beyond what has been documented anywhere else. We have no reason to start calling a product that appears 100% legit fake based on heresay. Unless you have the original kit in your hands to inspect, this is just perpetuating wild rumors.

They're not boots.

Retrogamer

Troller of Old Men,
20 Year Member
I have a kit, looks legit to me. And got it from a reputable source. I don't think that the seller I got it from would sell boots.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
SVC Plus is on most types of those multicarts.