MVS 4 Slot and Metal Slug 3 Question

ECM

Quiz Detective
OK, perhaps somebody here can help me as the Apple Systems people really couldn't: I have an MVS 4 Slot board and the Metal Slug 3 MVS cart. Problem is, the game will not run on the board--it boots but all I get is a messed up title screen shortly before the game reboots itself. SO what I want to know is: does the cart have some sort of encryption or otherwise that prevents it from running on the 4 slot boards? I'm at a loss, so any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Wants to play MS3 on his 4 slot badly,
ECM

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
Sorry, it should work fine. Newer carts like MS3 have encryption, but it should work fine on a 4 slot MVS. Maybe your MVS 3 is broken...I am fairly sure there are 4 slot owners here. They should be able to fully answer your question.

Just wondering, ECM, where did you get the name from? Did you get the idea from Gamefan, whose editor in chief goes by that name?

------------------
ffmw_terry.gif

"Come on, get serious!"

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
ECM,
I have a 2 slot and a 6 slot MVS board and have had no problem running Metal Slug 3 in either... I can't imagine that the 4 slot board would be any different then these two boards. Also, Strikers 1945, Ganryu, and KOF 99 work fine so there is no problem with the encrypted games. That cart might be bad, it happens... make sure it is seated correctly as well. I got a new MS3 and it did not want to go all the way in the first couple times I tried. I turned it on and got ROM errors. I then pushed it down a little more straight and it clunked in a bit deeper then before. I powered the thing on and it has worked perfect since...

-Nick

ECM

Quiz Detective
Well, all my other games work fine with it...except MS3.

As for where I got my name, I AM the ECM from GameFan magazine--and before you tell me I'm not you can email me at ecm@gamefan.com and I'll answer your letter to prove it (sorry if that sounds a little harsh, but I get accused of not being me so often it's infuriating
wink.gif

Anyway, thanks guys...hopefully somebody has the same issue I do (and it's not the MS3 cart--works fine in my one slot harness).

Thanks much!
ECM

Eclipse

Crossed Swords Squire
I've found that MVS carts have a mind of their own. Sometimes I try and try and try to get a game to boot, and it simply doesn't go. Then I try another game and it works fine the first time.

MVS carts can be very picky. Sometimes you have to have them inserted in the slot within 1-2 millimeters of exactly what it wants for them to work properly. I've also found that sometimes inserting one side of the cart slightly more than the other side works sometimes, so that the cart is actually tilted a little bit.

Don't know if any of this will help, but there's a few pointers that have helped me get some more stubborn MVS games to boot.
smile.gif

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
Hey, tell me about it. It takes couple of tries myself sometimes to fit the MVS carts to a converter, and I have to adjust the position to get the games to work properly.

------------------
ffmw_terry.gif

"Come on, get serious!"

G

gokusama26

Hey, ECM, weren't you the staff member with a charicature of Terry Bogard as your image? I always noticed how a small majority of those images at the beginning of each issue were SNK based. I remember a Raiden/Big Bear guy, you (Terry), and I think a Haomaru type-guy. Is Gamefan still being published?

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
No, they are no longer published. But ECM is busy trying to start another magazine, I think.

Yeah, on Gamefan, ECM looked like Terry, and was wearing a hat that said ECM (before it was FF?). It was probably the only magazine in US that reviewed Neo Geo home cart. I think they gave the MS 3 a perfect 10. Like it's namesake, the magazine was made for the die hard fans...

ECM

Quiz Detective
Actually, it's GameFan that I'm bringing back
wink.gif

On the stick,
ECM

ECM

Quiz Detective
OK, you guys rock: I pulled the cart out and re-inserted it five seperate times--on the fifth time, I must have found the 'magic' position because now it works.

Thanks guys!
ECM

K

kyoisthekof

That's great! You're bringing Gamefan back? Oh I've got to e-mail him on this...

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I have missed the GameFan website since it was down... it was the only place I could find arcade game reviews. Well, it is great to hear that the mag is coming back, but in the meantime has anyone else found a good place for arcade game news and reviews?

-Nick

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
Game Fan is coming back. That is a great news. I am glad to hear that your game works fine now. You will review more Neo Geo stuff, right?

------------------
ffmw_terry.gif

"Come on, get serious!"

ECM

Quiz Detective
I fully intend to continue covering the Neo till my last dying breath...

Loving the melodrama,
ECM

BryLmoo

AES Contact Cleaner, Extraordinaire!!!,
20 Year Member
I've read the MS3 review and I have a question for ECM. I would like to know what I would have to do to become a writer for a mag that deals with the videogame industry as a whole? I've read magazines like Gamefan(personal fav), Next Gen, ODCM, Nintendo Power, and NeoGeoFreak. I also read a ton of online reviews on software for systems ranging from the PS2 to the wonderswan to the Neo. I'm really serious about this because I've always wanted to write reviews for a mag, and one day I hope that I can!

Bryan -FUCK NGF-

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
Originally posted by BryLmoo:
I've read the MS3 review and I have a question for ECM. I would like to know what I would have to do to become a writer for a mag that deals with the videogame industry as a whole? I've read magazines like Gamefan(personal fav), Next Gen, ODCM, Nintendo Power, and NeoGeoFreak. I also read a ton of online reviews on software for systems ranging from the PS2 to the wonderswan to the Neo. I'm really serious about this because I've always wanted to write reviews for a mag, and one day I hope that I can!

Bryan -FUCK NGF-

Honestly, I think alot of people do what you do. And it's not only you that want to be a reviewer--I would think that it would be most gamers dream job
wink.gif

You need experience. Write a review at a gamefaqs for a change. Try to get hired at every videogame web site, as a contributor, for free. Grammer and computer skills would come in handy as well, I suppose. Also dedication. It's not a real dandy job, as most people think. Long hours, getting sore thumb for playing very long time, and playing bad games for way longer than you want to. But then there are great perks like free videogames, and able to play games earlier than most public. Still, it is a great gig, if you can land one.

------------------
ffmw_terry.gif

"Come on, get serious!"

[This message has been edited by Master Terry Bogard (edited January 18, 2001).]

ECM

Quiz Detective
In a nutshell: what Terry said
wink.gif

Bad games suck--especially when you have to play them DAY-IN/DAY-OUT,
ECM

P.S. And it sounds stupid, but NEVER underestimate the value of a. being honest, and b. having an opinion that might run contrary to the sheep.

RyoGeo

Global Moderator, Voice of Reason, Member #13
ECM, just another tip. I have a four slot myself and have found that certain carts like certain slots. I have a Super Sidekicks 2 cart and it only seems to want to boot reliably in the number 2 slot. Others seem to glitch sprites in one slot and not in another. I would just keep fiddling with it until you find a slot that:

A) Gets the thing to boot (which you already have) and...

B) If more than one slot will boot it, which slot is the most reliable for that particular cart and the least hassle in terms of cart placement to get it to boot.

------------------
kof96_ryostance.gif
-RyoGeo

[This message has been edited by RyoGeo (edited January 18, 2001).]

ECM

Quiz Detective
The odd thing is, it seems to like slot 1--I thought I was just imagining it...

They live,
ECM

Robi15

20 Year Member
Hi, ECM. Just wanted to tell you that here is a gamer from Sweden that get's you'r mag monthly! Lately there has been some delays but what do you mean bringing the magazine back? Was it ever gone?

Over 'n Out.

Robi15

PS! What's you'r other favorite games to Neo Geo MVS, other than Slug 3?

------------------
NEOBIOS.gif

MVS all the way!

ECM

Quiz Detective
My top three:

Metal Slug 3
Blazing Star
Mark of the Wolves

MVSFan,
ECM

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
Originally posted by ECM:
My top three:

Metal Slug 3
Blazing Star
Mark of the Wolves

MVSFan,
ECM

Since you speak your mind, do you feel like venting your feelings on people who speak trash about the Neo-Geo? (I realize this is off topic, but I had to ask). You
need to have a Neo-Geo column in Gamefan! Bring back the old school coverage, please!

------------------
terry1.gif

NeoLord
Neo-News and much more!
neonews.cjb.net

[This message has been edited by NeoLord (edited January 27, 2001).]

Jackal

SouthTown StreetSweeper
Great to hear from you here, ECM.
smile.gif

I'm looking forward to seeing GameFan come back. That MS 3 review is awesome. Shooter Alley is one of my favorite parts of the mag as well.

Long live GameFan!

gameoverdude.jpg
www.gameoverdude.com
jackal.jpg