MVS maintenance

Maxim

Kabuki Klasher
Like most people tend to give their cars a monthly tune-up to prevent it from breaking down or something.

What steps should I take to make sure my MVS Cabinet is in tip top shape?? When the guy brought it, he put some WD-40 on the bottom thing of the joysticks. What steps like the one I just mentioned should I take??

------------------
"Everyone's Gonna Die!!"

twalden

Leona's Therapist
20 Year Member
I check the voltages on the power supply every few months and adjust if necessary. If the voltages are out of tolerance, (high or low) it can make an arcade game do strange things. A cap kit on the monitor every few years will keep your display looking bright and crisp. Also, the usenet group: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting is a good source for arcade video game maintenance.

B

Bobak!

My MVS unit is a dust magnet, so I dust it weekly to prevent a warren of dust bunnies from taking hold

Robi15

20 Year Member
Originally posted by twalden:
I check the voltages on the power supply every few months and adjust if necessary. If the voltages are out of tolerance, (high or low) it can make an arcade game do strange things. A cap kit on the monitor every few years will keep your display looking bright and crisp. Also, the usenet group: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting is a good source for arcade video game maintenance.

How do you put the "cap kit" to you'r monitor? Have you done that you'r self or by some professional?

I have a sence that my monitor needs that. It does not look as crisp as it use to do..

Thanks

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Every monitor is a little different... and some are quite easy to do.. but if you have never done it before, or do not have experience working with TVs or monitors I would ask for help (since it is easy to get fryed back there!). The job is pretty cheap, I have a few machines here and they both have had their caps refreshed recently... cost was about $70 a machine. You can tell the caps need to be replaced when the monitor is losing colors, it is folding over at the top or middle... there are dark lines present on the screen... etc, etc. Also, the flyback should be replaced every few years as well.

-Nick

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Oh and as for the MVS care. I think the dusting idea is a great one.. get a can of compressed air and just keep the inside clean... a little minivac might help to, so you can grab those bunnies from the inside of the machine. The games require very little work to keep them going, and to tell you the truth, you could do nothing and have no problems. As for carts, from time to time they will corode, especially if you are in a humid climate. Don't freak out, this is nothing to worry about, just head down to an office supply store or an art supply store and get yourself an art-gum. When the carts are looking gross (I used to live in FL so this was a regular thing) take them apart and clean each boards contacts with the art-gum. This is a real safe little cleaner that will make the contacts look like new. When you are done, blow the thing with compressed air and there you have it, a maintained Neo game and cabinet
smile.gif

-Nick