ST Pheonixed US Board Throwing Exceptions Randomly

yzrider926

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Got a Phoenixed ST board, and recently it has been throwing exceptions randomly during play. Its a US board but it does it in both US and the Japan region. I've had this board for a few years and until recently I haven't seen it do this before.

As a side note I have not had the board plug into a cab the whole time, and just recently started playing it again and noticed it.

Anyone have any ideas on what might be causing it, or ways to remedy it?

Thanks,

Dennis

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
What voltage is the board getting? Check with a multimeter at the board level. I usually make mine 5.1v but 5.0v is fine.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Just wondering, when do the exception errors start pooping up: after a few minutes of game play, a few hours of game play, or both?

yzrider926

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Good suggestion on the voltage level, didn't even think to do that.

As far as when it happens I have noticed it after playing a few matches, maybe between 5 and 10, but sometimes less. It only seems to happen while actually playing the game. If the game just sits at the title screen it seems to be fine.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
...It only seems to happen while actually playing the game....

Just wondering, does the harness look ok?

(Check the inside the edge connector for damaged and push back pins?)
(Check the pins for loosely crimped wire?)
(Check the buttons in the TEST MENU for correct response?)
(Check the harness for good support?)

Last edited:

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
What class of super turbo board do you have. Is it the mask rom type or heavy eprom type. If its eprom based the voltages are more demanding and strict so you should measure the voltage on the board while the game is hot.

Hope not if its the eprom based type one of the eproms may have failed.